PDA

View Full Version : Starting a FOW/??

dskrezyna
03/11/2012, 07:33 PM
Hey all,

Ive dabbled in SW for a few years and never had success keeping corals thus Id like to startup an empty 13g tank with FO but I am unsure how to proceed.

Must I get LS and LR? What kind of filter would you suggest?

SecretiveFish
03/12/2012, 11:28 AM
You do not need to buy live sand, but I personally like have <1 inch of sand in my tanks although many people are successful with bare bottom tanks.

Most people will agree, but yes, LR is essential to a stable tank. Now you can buy dry rock and cycle it to save some $$ but it will take longer and will not have the cool micro fauna (or pests?!?) on it when it cycles. You can also get mostly dry rock and seed with a piece of live rock.

I would also have a small Hang on back filter (I like the Aquaclear HOB ones) and maybe a small protein skimmer.

With the fish that can live comfortably in a tank your size, a lid is essential because basically all of them are jumpers.

We had a 10gallon with <1 inch argonite sand, ~10lbs of live rock, a home made protein skimmer, a little chaeto, a HOB AquaClear filter, and a clip on light with a reflective bulb at color temperature 5000 that was supporting corals, inverts and a fish. It was up for awhile and had massive coraline algea growth along with reasonable coral crowth. We had too many tanks running so I tore it down.... It was a nice little tank though.