PDA

View Full Version : Black Silicon Seams - Starfire Glass

tvoydan
03/12/2012, 11:13 AM
After some time out of the hobby, I've decided to move forward with a new tank purchase. I'm looking at a 165gallon wide tank (72"x24"x22") with built in overflow.

I'm trying to decide if I want black silicon or the normal clear silicon seams. I like the black silicon look, but not sure if over the long run it will start to look ragged on the edges? The price difference is very small (like $25ish).

I'm also considering starfire glass (front and sides). It almost doubles the cost of the tank. The sides only adds $110 to the tank cost and the front is something like $250. Is it clearer view really worth it?

Opinions or suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

Lorenz725
03/12/2012, 11:20 AM
Hey Tom welcome back to the hobby. I think it comes down to what you like to look at. I have clear but always thought the black looked really slick and maybe one day I will have a tank with black silicon. I have have seen starfire glass tanks before and I myself could not see the $250 difference. I think the best thing you could do is find someone local that has a starfire tank so you can get a up close look and be able to decide. Good luck.

tkeracer619
03/12/2012, 11:23 AM
Starfire scratches easier. It makes the biggest difference with thicker glass but I like the look. I don't like the scratches. If it were me I would probably go with standard glass.

96p993
03/12/2012, 11:30 AM
I have a low iron tank and really like it...I can see a difference but its not going to hit you like a ton of bricks. I am not a big fan of just doing one panel unless that is the only viewable panel on the tank. When you have them side by side you can tell a difference quite easily....I also have black silicone and really like the look...

cdc84
03/12/2012, 11:50 AM
I would go with black silicone, it gives the tank a much cleaner look. I haven't seen a starfire tank but I have heard they scratch easier.

96slowbra
03/12/2012, 12:52 PM
there was actually a thread about whether or not star fire scratches easier about a weeka ago. and there was really no indicator that it does. i am having a rimless 120 built for me now, and i am doing black silicon and star fire on the 3 sides. he suggested black silicon because it stays black forever, as opposed to clear that starts to get cloudy almost yellow looking over time.

tkeracer619
03/12/2012, 01:11 PM
It depends on the glass used. Yes it can scratch easier. Some data from manufacturers show upwards of a 20% difference. Others show same or stronger. Just depends on the batch of glass used and its properties.

Saying it scratches easier isn't a whole truth BUT I consider it a safer alternative to assume it doesn't. Either way hopefully you will have less scratches if your being conscious about it.

When choosing a tank if you are prone to scratches you might want to reconsider starfire. For some it is a non issue. My tank is loaded with scratches. To this day I have never EVER had someone come over and say "wow your tank is all scratched up". If you do it right scratches are irrelevant and so is the silicone color.

tvoydan
03/13/2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all the comments.

So far I'm sure I'll go with the black silicone. The tank manufacturer actually has the 165 in stock without starfire and with blakc silicone. It would take a few weeks for the starfire version to get made. A few friends locally told me to drop the starfire and spend the extra cash on fish instead.

Also there's a backlog on the cherry wood stand and hood I want and could take a month before it comes in. So I guess I'll have time to decide on the starfire option.

Outdoorfishes
03/13/2012, 08:53 AM
Want to know if the scratches on the starphire or low-iron glasses can be buffed out.

+1 on the black silicon.

James77
03/13/2012, 09:56 AM
No, glass cannot be buffed out in a reasonable way.

I've always like the black silicone as well. The only way the silicone would look ragged would be if you damaged it, just take your time cleaning up to the seams.