PDA

View Full Version : Can a yellow tang fit in my tank?

sarahlovesfish
03/12/2012, 06:11 PM
I have 80 gallon 5 ft long 1ft wide reef tank. And I was wondering If it is possible to keep a yellow tang in my tank.Is that too small? I saw the tang tank size sticky. And the tangs that can fit, are tangs I do not really see often in fish stores. And I see yellow tangs commonly. I would also know what size tank you keep your yellow tang in if you have one. I am not planning on getting one, but after alot of experience, I would like to try to keep one. I would appreciate it if you answered :) Thanks

robs.mark
03/12/2012, 06:18 PM
It's not ideal because of the width, but I'm sure there are a lot of people on this site that keep them in much smaller tanks. Arrange the rock so that the tang has both plenty of open swim as well as hiding space. Buy a small one too. What will his tank mates be?

sarahlovesfish
03/12/2012, 06:21 PM
There is alot of open space, and the distance of the tank is pretty long, and the tank mates will be a pair of clowns,fire goby, blenny, royal gramma, and blue green chromis. Should I skip the Chromis? Thanks for answering

bennr
03/12/2012, 06:22 PM
I have a yellow tang in my 75....... Which he will outgrow......a yellow tang will do okay in your tank IMO but it will outgrow your tank. Also they are rather peaceful but I have found they can be the most aggressive in a peaceful tank.....best to add last if planning a peaceful reef

sarahlovesfish
03/12/2012, 06:25 PM
If I add one, it will be the last to be add.

sarahlovesfish
03/12/2012, 06:31 PM
But I do not like the fact that I have to sell it. I might go with a smaller tang.

bennr
03/12/2012, 06:34 PM
I have a yellow tang in my 75....... Which he will outgrow......a yellow tang will do okay in your tank IMO but it will outgrow your tank. Also they are rather peaceful but I have found they can be the most aggressive in a peaceful tank.....best to add last if planning a peaceful reef. Once mine does outgrow my tank I am hoping I can find a home for him and I do not plan on getting another tang because of this reason and really there are just so many other fish that are more fitted for my small reef tank.....I would love to keep a copper band butterfly but would be very difficult to impossible in my tank with a tang in the long run.....difference is that a copper band will not outgrow a smaller reef tank like a tang.....tangs are nice and usually a hardy fish but most are not practical in a smaller reef and I have learned that if doing a reef tank you must choose fish that are there to compliment and be beneficial to the coral.....I love my clowns, blue green chromis, and cardinals......a few anthias will fit your tank too....research and choose your fish carefully....do not listen to the Lfs either!......well most Lfs anyways

sarahlovesfish
03/12/2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks. I might try anthias. I always liked those fish. Are they compatible for my fish?

aquaph8
03/12/2012, 06:35 PM
But I do not like the fact that I have to sell it. I might go with a smaller tang.

There are better choices for sure. Check out some of the bristle tooth tangs.

NYCBOB
03/12/2012, 06:36 PM
yellow in a 80 is fine. they wont grow big until 2-3 years down the road.

sarahlovesfish
03/12/2012, 06:38 PM
Thaks for your advice

bennr
03/12/2012, 06:55 PM
I have fallen in love with the copperband butterfly......need to find one that is eating well on frozen foods and established in a tank with similar parameters though because they can have low survival rates within the first month or two......just so many other choices than tangs IMO..... Yellow tangs are hard to catch too if you ever change your mind.....I know from experience lol

robs.mark
03/12/2012, 07:24 PM
Why limit yourself to a tang, maybe look at dwarf angels, very pretty and IMO much more suitable for your tank..

sarahlovesfish
03/12/2012, 07:35 PM
I was also thinking about a dwarf angel, but I am concerned about them nipping at corals. I love butterflies, but they nip at corals too. But I with either try anthias or dwarf angels

Lorenz725
03/12/2012, 07:44 PM
I have a potters and flame dwarf angel in a mixed reef and yes they do nip on some corals but if your corals are healthy they can withstand some nips. I agree with a smaller fish for your size tank there are a ton of really cool fish out there. Good luck!

sarahlovesfish
03/12/2012, 07:49 PM
Thankyou :)