PDA

View Full Version : Flame Dwarf Angel in 20H?

calveezzzy
03/12/2012, 09:55 PM
I was at my LFS today, and they just got in a flame dwarf angel that really caught my eye! I was asking the owner and he said that it would be ok in my tank. I don't know if he's just trying to get the sale or not because he hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Right now I have 4 zoanthid frags, 1 green chromis, 1 ywg, 1 occelaris, and 1 skunk cleaner shrimp. If the Dwarf angel will be my last fish, will it be ok? My LR formation is pretty wide and has a lot of open cave-like spaces.

ange062
03/12/2012, 10:11 PM
It's a "30g minimum" fish, but I honestly think you will be fine if it is small. I've noticed in my tank over the past year that the fish "grow to the tank", i.e. stay smaller in my 28g then the same species fish I have seen in larger tanks.

The main concern would be the bioload in your 20g with 4 fish, hopefully you are using a skimmer and the tank is well established.

calveezzzy
03/13/2012, 08:35 AM
Should I just scrap the plan for the flame angel and just get a bangaii cardinal instead? I really wanted that vibrant red color in my tank though. :(

chgoblknazn
03/13/2012, 08:39 AM
I say get it if it's small enough. Each system and fish is different. If it doesn't work out, I am sure you could sell it to a local reefer or trade it in for credit at an LFS.

Shells4
03/13/2012, 10:02 AM
Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should. Angels need space to move in and out of the rockwork. IMO a 20g will not provide enough space for good quality of life. If you do decide to get the flame it will probably become very aggressive.

calveezzzy
03/13/2012, 03:14 PM
Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should. Angels need space to move in and out of the rockwork. IMO a 20g will not provide enough space for good quality of life. If you do decide to get the flame it will probably become very aggressive.

Yeah that's what I don't want to happen. So, should I just forget about the flame and just get a bangaii cardinal like I originally planned?

Or can you guys suggest another reddish fish I can get?

Shells4
03/16/2012, 03:38 PM
Don't want to offend anyone but I've just never been a fan of the cardinals, just don't seem to have alot of personality. I know it isn't red but have you thought about an orcid dottyback or royal gramma? It would be a nice fit with the fish you currently have and add a nice splash of bright color. Can't think of anything red off the top of my head for that size tank. A cherb/pygmy angel would probably be okay as a last addition to your tank (might still be pushing it) but they are mostly blue/yellow combos.

EllieSuz
03/16/2012, 03:47 PM
I have a grown Flame Angel in a 60 gallon and I wouldn't put her in anything smaller. She is an active swimmer and likes to sail through holes in the rock work. In my opinion, a 20 would be too small.

calveezzzy
03/17/2012, 02:07 AM
I think my current plan is to get rid of the green chromis, and then add a firefish and a bangaii cardinal. I do like the idea of a royal gramma, but I really like the elegant look of the bangaii a little better.