PDA

View Full Version : Biopellets just allong for the ride?

MHG
03/13/2012, 08:50 AM
I have a 5 month old tanks. I have been running only 100ml of pellets in a TLF reactor for about 3 months now. I have no nitrates of phosphates to speak of and what I conside to be a low bioload (6 fis, CUC and about 5 colonies of lps and two sps).

Since starting the pellets I have no increase in skimmer output or required sock changes as others have had. I have noticed no reduction in the size of the pellets. Is it because of a low bioload or are my pellets just allong for the ride and not doing anything?

aquatictec
03/13/2012, 01:05 PM
It wouldn't hurt to put some more pellets in. Biopellets do get used up over time. They get consumed and get smaller. Just to make sure put some new ones in the reactor. If the old pellets are smaller they will gather at a different height in the reactor and you will easily be able to see the demarcation line between the 2 groups of pellets. If your nitrates and phosphates are zero that is great. Biopellets do indeed work.

MHG
03/26/2012, 10:14 AM
Well I added some more and my nitrates are back to zero. I just never really notice any increase in skimmer output.