PDA

View Full Version : Is this going to work?

CRASHJT
03/13/2012, 11:19 AM
Basiclly I built the DIY stand for my 90G however in some random thought I had, I made it 3/4" shorter than needed on both sides and the front. The theory behind this was to butt the outside skin undernieth the 3/4" plywood and then cover with some type of crown molding... Now Im having second thoughts I think it will hold fine but then again "will it?" I dont know... LOL

I drew a little rough sketch so you can better understand what Im talking about....

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/CRASHJT/Stand.png

Basiclly the green is the stand frame.
The black is the 3/4 plywood.
The light blue is the outer skin material/tongue and groove.
The red is like a piece of crown molding to trim it/the tank off.

The back of the tank would be sitting on the plywood directly ontop of the frame, however the front and both sides would be sitting on the plywood which is hanging over the frame by 3/4" Do yoy think this is an issue? Thanks for your help and time.

hllywd
03/13/2012, 11:38 AM
It looks pretty good other than I'm not sure I'd put the "black" plywood on as a top. There shouldn't be a need for it. I'm making the assumption you're skinning the front of the stand too so the front edge of the tank is directly supported like the ends. Also while I don't think they are absolutely necessary, a front and rear center brace would help me sleep better. I've removed center braces on full, running 4' tanks to install equipment that wouldn't otherwise fit, but I always reinstalled them when I was done.

Tim

CRASHJT
03/13/2012, 02:15 PM
Yes I am skinning the front also I just didnt do it in the drawing so that you could see what I was talking about. I put the plywood on it because of the way I was doing that over hand and figured while a may not need it, It def. wasnt going to hurt anything. As far as the center brace is concerned I followed the DIY plans that are in this forum and looks as though many people are having success with it so I am basically trusting their experience.

chrisd1986
03/13/2012, 03:33 PM
this should work fine looks like the one I built I used plywood on top as well just to ensure that the tank would be on a solid flat level surface. I also did the molding around the top to hide the black frame on my tank

submersible
03/13/2012, 08:00 PM
How wide is the black trim as the bottom of the tank?
If it is 1", then only 1/4" will be directly over the frame.

Is the tongue and groove skin 3/4"?

CRASHJT
03/14/2012, 05:41 AM
Im at work now so Im not sure but it's just a standard tank so I assume its 1". Yes the skin is 3/4"

You seem as reserved about it as I am, however the back of the tank aswell as the center brace will be fully suported so Im thinking it would be ok but??

eznet2u
03/14/2012, 09:09 AM
I would not have the molding go up the side of the tank that way. Especially if you have a Plywood bottom.
You just made a nice reservoir for any drips, splashes, or spills to stay under your tank where it has very little
possibility to evaporate.

This will in turn allow the water to find it's way through whatever protective coating you use on the Plywood.
As soon as the Plywood starts to soak up moisture, it will begin to warp. When it warps, it will crack most
tanks before you notice the deflection.

Ask me how I know... :headwally:

If you still plan on using this method...I would cut major portions of the Plywood top out, to allow the
water to evaporate from under the tank.

CRASHJT
03/14/2012, 10:56 AM
Thats easy enogh to do. Thanks for the tip, I am also not wraping it all the away around just the front and both sides.

NanoReefWanabe
03/14/2012, 11:22 AM
If you still plan on using this method...I would cut major portions of the Plywood top out, to allow the
water to evaporate from under the tank.

do you really think water is going to evaporate from under the tank if the plywood is cut out? if he is running a sump chances are the air temp and moisture in the cabinet is greater then that around the display, however below the tank there is likely very little if any air movement...

if the plywood is treated properly with primer and paint the spilt water will evaporate long before it can penetrate the wood...my tank is set up almost the same as this however the top to my stand is marble sitting on a plywood top, which is then wrapped with trim to hide the sides/ edges of the marble...in the year my tank has been running and the 100+ spills i have done i have had to lift the tank and marble off to move things around, and there has never been so much as a water stain...dry salt but no stains...

as the stand is drawn it will be fine if the plywood sides extend to the floor support...if the edges of the ply skin are going to be floating (ie not right to the bottom of the stand touching the floor) then you are relying on the fasteners to hold up the edges of the tank...however, it is only a 90 gallon tank and you are using 3/4" for the top so i think you will be fine with the cantilevered edge of the top piece of ply...any support under it will be bonus...i would glue the snot out of it for poops and giggles though to be safe..