PDA

View Full Version : LED Lighting Advice

jock
03/13/2012, 01:09 PM
Hi

Looking into upgrading lights in order to keep corals. Like these 30W LED spot lights:
http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?pid=103&mid=11&lan=en&sub=&id=4

Was wondering, before I go & fork out cash, would two of these be enough on my tank 39.5"x16"x17" (l b h). This might sound bit noob but can I get two Marine Whites? Not sure how it would look but if i need to buy some cheap blue LEDs to look the part thats not a problem as long as any coral I kept was getting the light it needed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

John

bnumair
03/13/2012, 02:33 PM
40x16x17 is a 4ft tank almost so i dont think 1 of those will be enough at all for corals. infact 30w is not good enough for reef at all even at 18" above the sandbed. just my opinion

jock
03/13/2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks for reply. Did mean two of these marine white on my tank but may have to reconsider. Does say its as powerful as 150w halide (i know you cant believe everything you read).

Back to the drawing board i guess. I assume most agree with above (not that I dont trust you :) )

Cheers

John

bnumair
03/13/2012, 03:42 PM
what kind of corals are u going to keep?
i went back and looked at it again and the videos. i still believe that at 18" above sandbed and with what they claim for thier par reading i still belive u will need a minimum of 3 of those and maybe 4. again just my opinion if u are keeping a mixed reef with SPS LPS and Softies.

jock
03/13/2012, 04:00 PM
Again thanks, appreciate all the advice I can get. Well would start out easy which I guess is Softies. However, long term I would like to keep whatever I like which would mean a mix.
Do you think 2 Marine White would be sufficient for certain types short term (softies), & then over time I could upgrade/add before adding any hard corals.
Kind of going off topic now but are liveaquaria's lighting ratings accurate. I know its not an exact science but if I had 2 of these spot lights would I be safe looking at anything low to moderate in terms of lighting requirements?

Thanks

John

bnumair
03/13/2012, 05:36 PM
yes i think u can get away for short term with softies. u can also guess if there is not enough light when ur softies are stretching towards the top looking for more light. that would be ur first indication. i dont think its too little of light to just kill the softies. if after a while u think ur softies are doing ok and no streatching with only 2 units u can try a green acro or lps coral and see what and how they do. i still believe for mix u will need more units 3 to 4 my guess.

bnumair
03/13/2012, 05:37 PM
how much r those lights? i didnt find a price on them or i completely missed it i guess lol.

jock
03/14/2012, 02:54 PM
Sorry for late reply. Am in UK so fell asleep then had to go to work (they banned this site at work :'( ). They say RRP £230 each & lfs quoted same price but I can get them £160 on internet.

bnumair
03/14/2012, 04:27 PM
cool i am in london twice a year, my brother is at Brunell Univ. there and my sister lives in oslo norway.

pmark
03/14/2012, 06:09 PM
That is a lot of money for spotlights.