PDA

View Full Version : Discuss Carbon in a reactor with me....

Putty
03/14/2012, 09:13 AM
I have a TLF 150 that is running bio balls. I am getting another one and my intentions are to run carbon in it. I have been told this is wise to remove the yellowish tint that occurs in systems. I do water changes with a white bucket and my water has this tint right now.

-Is there anything I need to be aware of?
-Is there a specific amount I should put in the reactor?
-Do I want it to tumble or be totally still?
-Can this cause any harm to my fish or coral?

Any advice other than what I asked would be great!.

daplatapus
03/14/2012, 09:28 AM
Have a look at this video:
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVpRGzerJFI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVpRGzerJFI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

There are also more on BRS TV that are quite good.

shaginwagon13
03/14/2012, 09:33 AM
I have a TLF 150 that is running bio balls. I am getting another one and my intentions are to run carbon in it. I have been told this is wise to remove the yellowish tint that occurs in systems. I do water changes with a white bucket and my water has this tint right now.

-Is there anything I need to be aware of?
-Is there a specific amount I should put in the reactor?
-Do I want it to tumble or be totally still?
-Can this cause any harm to my fish or coral?

Any advice other than what I asked would be great!.

You do not want to tumble carbon. Carbon is a soft material and it will grind itself to dust. Tumbling doesn't make it more effective, the only reason we tumble GFO is because we do not want the particles to stick together and form a big block. In a ideal world we wouldn't have to tumble GFO either.

Using too much carbon wont harm anything, just isn't the most effective/efficient way to use it. If I were you I would give the carbon a quick rinse in RO or tap water before adding it to my system. Same reason for rinsing sand before adding it to a tank. It won't hurt anything but sometimes it releases a small amount of black 'dust'. It won't hurt anything but I prefer to clean before I add.

shaginwagon13
03/14/2012, 09:40 AM
Ya BRS has some of the bets carbon you can buy. IMO you can find the same brand and type of carbon they sell for way cheaper if your good at researching on Google. Look around and you will find places that sell it for way cheaper (you have to buy 50 pounds at a time) but if you have a couple buddies with tanks, split the cost. You save a lot of money.

Putty
03/14/2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for that!! I just bought some ROX 0.8 for their site!

Very helpful, guys!