PDA

View Full Version : Melanurus Wrasse in Sand

Bnortz
03/14/2012, 09:24 PM
Last Friday I put a juvenile female Melanurus Wrasse in a 20H QT tank with about 2+ in of sand. After acclimating for about 45 min, I put it in and within seconds it went in the sand bed as expected. The next morning around 9 AM I turned the light on and after about 20 min. I came down to see it out and swimming around. It stayed out for the whole day. I fed it flakes and mysis that day and it ate well. The next day (Sunday), I saw it out for maybe a half hour or so in the middle of the day but other than that didn't see much of it. Since Sunday, I have not seen it at all. No way it could've jumped cause everything's fully covered.I know wrasses generally go in the sand at first, but it's just odd to me that it came out after a day, ate, and now I haven't seen it since. I've tried dropping food in to see if maybe it'll come out, no luck. Any thoughts?

Here's the initial sand dive when I first put it in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tGrEvEG_kk

LukeGI
03/15/2012, 07:25 AM
Do you have any rocks or anywhere else he can hide in the rest of the tank? It looks bare in the video, in which case he might just be afraid of the open water.
The melanurus likes to have rock work to roam around looking for food and to hide.

LukeGI
03/15/2012, 07:25 AM
Do you have any rocks or anywhere else he can hide in the rest of the tank? It looks bare in the video, in which case he might just be afraid of the open water.
The melanurus likes to have rock work to roam around looking for food and to hide.

Bernie21
03/15/2012, 01:56 PM
Mine disapears from time to time, just give it time, unless another fish is harassing it and keeoing it hiding.

Bnortz
03/15/2012, 02:52 PM
I better put a couple rocks in, I meant to do that. No other fish in there. I'll just give it some time.

scar79
03/15/2012, 04:29 PM
Patience! I had a yellow coris wrasse disappear for 9 days before it finally showed face. It ate and disappeared for 2 more days. It'll feel comfortable eventually, just needs to adjust.

Bnortz
03/15/2012, 04:31 PM
Patience! I had a yellow coris wrasse disappear for 9 days before it finally showed face. It ate and disappeared for 2 more days. It'll feel comfortable eventually, just needs to adjust.

I'm hoping my situation is similar! Just put a couple rocks in very carefully

ingtar_shinowa
03/16/2012, 12:22 AM
My Melanurus Wrasse wasn't seen for a week, then for the next few days would only come out until about noon. Justin the last few days has he come out all day. now hes happy and at the glass all day long (ate 90% of the red planaria too)

Bnortz
03/17/2012, 08:30 AM
So I put some live brine in last night, woke up this morning, and she's finally out and swimming around!