PDA

View Full Version : Adding Live Sand

Buzz1329
03/15/2012, 04:32 PM
I am regretting not adding some real “live sand” (not the packaged stuff in the bags) to my “dry” sand bed to “seed” it with micro fauna.

After the “tank” (sorry but the quote thing is addictive) having cycled and been stocked with copious (and delicate) goodies, is it too late?

I have to rearrange my sump so that would give me the opportunity to add some live sand to the fuge portion. :strooper::hb2: But I really would love to inoculate the sand bed in my DT. :mtool: Has that ship sailed? :ape:

Buzz1329
03/15/2012, 04:33 PM
Oh and BTW, :celeb3::o:hmm5:

redfishblewfish
03/15/2012, 04:39 PM
Never too late.

Cut a piece of pipe that is slightly longer than the depth of your tank (I use 1 ˝ pipe to do this). Place the pipe in your tank, with the bottom of the pipe at the bottom of your tank. Put a funnel in the top of the pipe and fill the pipe with sand. Now start to lift the pipe until the sand starts to flow out. Move the pipe around to spread the sand. Continue to add more sand to the pipe.

This method minimizes the sand-storm.

Buzz1329
03/15/2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks redfishblewfish.

But if I used this technique to add "real" live sand (from say Tampa Bay Saltwater as opposed to the bagged "live sand", would this trigger a cycle and kill my SPS frags?