PDA

View Full Version : Pump Size?

yachtdr22
03/16/2012, 12:30 PM
I have a 125 Reef with a 30 gal Ref.
I have Live Rock in the Ref.

The current return plumbing consists of 3/4" PVC split to 2 that each have 2 discharges. (1 split to 2 split to 4) The returns are 2) 1 1/2
The current Pump is a Dannar 1800 GPH. Above the pump is a check valve, then above that is a T that diverts to a ball valve that goes back into the sump (Upstream of the live rock section)?
The ball valve is set at about 1/2 so it looks like part of the water returns to the tank and part recirculates to the sump.

Is the return w/ ball valve necessary? I would like to reduce the size of the pump if I can. I was hoping to keep the valve closed and go to a Ocean Runner 2500 (625gph)

Any thoughts or ideas??

As always,
Thanks for the help!!!

tkeracer619
03/16/2012, 09:27 PM
IMO/IME I would go with a eheim 1260.

The valve is not necessary.

yachtdr22
03/16/2012, 09:59 PM
thanks Tkeracer..
if i may, why eheim ? I see eheim has a compact 3000 that has a power consumption of 55watts
basically i am looking for the most energy efficient pump so it will run longer on my battery back up system...
I am no opposed to spending almost double for the eheim 1260 @ 65watts if it is justified...

thanks again for your thoughts...

Drew

tkeracer619
03/16/2012, 10:14 PM
The 1260 is the tried and true Eheim. They last forever.

I have one that is easily 10+ years old, I got it used, the paint is faded, and the insulation on the cord is dry rotted, still works like new. It can't be submerged now (I haven't tried bc of the cord) but can be run external. Quiet (almost silent) and should last if cleaned on occasion for a very long time.

I just purchased a new one for my QT. They are a very reliable pump.

Have you looked into vortechs and a battery backup? They will keep the tank circulating for a day on the backup they sell or you can diy one that will run the pumps for a week.

yachtdr22
03/16/2012, 11:18 PM
The MAIN reason for the battery back up is because my sump will overflow when the lift pump is off for more than a few minutes. I have a feeling that issue will be solved when I change the bump and discontinue use of the deverter valve that is above?? the check valve??
I wasnt so concerned with the tank circulating because of the flooding issue and the lift pump would provide enough to handle that.

If you think the pump is worth the extra $.. then im sold! ordering one now!!!

thanks
Drew

yachtdr22
03/16/2012, 11:29 PM
okedokee.. i just ordered 1 of each...
the Eheim 3000 compact for my HT and the 1260 for my DT...

thanks again for the feedback!!!
:beer:

tkeracer619
03/17/2012, 07:14 PM
Your welcome. You won't be disappointed!