PDA

View Full Version : Tang question

Amdeus
03/16/2012, 03:57 PM
I switched from MH to led and my Powder blue is fighting the glass. I have never actually seen the spur out until today. I am guessing with the led's he can see his reflection and that is the issue. Any advice on getting him to stop trying to beat him self up? lol

mattsilvester
03/17/2012, 11:02 AM
How long ago did you make the switch? Give it time, he may calm down.

I may be wrong, and I am open to be corrected on this, but I have always been of the opinion the fish do not see a reflection of themself in the glass. I say this because when I approach the tank, either from the end or front, they all go nuts looking for food - if they were seeing a reflection, they could not see me......

There is however a situation that makes the glass become reflective; when the tank lighting is intense and the room outside the tank is quite dark. Its like the way you cannot see out the windows of your house at night when the inside lights are on; the extent of this effect is proportional to the properties of the glass (internal reflectance value) and the difference in light intensity.

Is your fish fighting the end panels, or all sides? Do you find this happens only at night?
- By letting end panels get dirty i.e. dont scrap the algae, the reflection will deminish.
- Try place a lamp next to the tank, so that when the room is dark the immediate area next to the tank is brighter.

Hope this helps some.

Amdeus
03/17/2012, 01:11 PM
Good point the room is darker then the tank. He only fights the sides. just a few days ago but i guess time will tell if he gets tired of it.

rpjaws74
03/17/2012, 01:15 PM
good observations matt!