PDA

View Full Version : Need help on Randy's recipe! Please!

raylo3288
03/16/2012, 07:07 PM
Hi guys,
I'm little confuse about Randy's recipe. For the longest time
I have been trying to raise my mag and so far it's being sitting
at 1200 (using britghtwell magnecion). So I decided it to switch
to Randy's recipe. Now the confuse part is the mag, if I use Randy's
Part 1 n 2, do I dose part 1 n 2 first then mag? Or dump mag
first(Mix 5 cups of Mag chloride and 3 cups of Espom salt with RODI in a 1G container) to get the mag in the right target then 2 part?
Please help me!

Tank parameter:

110 gal
Mix Reef(75 gal vol water)
Mag: 1200
Cal: 360
Alk: 9(baked baking soda)
Ph: 8.1 day - 7.8-7.9 nite
Salt: 1.025(seachem reef salt)
TLF phosban reactor w ROWA
Everything is at 0 except 10 on the nitrate
2 AI Sol white LED.

bertoni
03/16/2012, 10:01 PM
[welcome]

In this case, the order doesn't matter. The parameters are all close enough to normal that everything should be okay. I might check the pH after the alkalinity dose to make sure that it's not too high.

raylo3288
03/17/2012, 03:01 AM
Thx so much for the reply Jonathan!! Now if I decided to go with cal reactor in the future do I need to change the mag recipe?

raylo3288
03/17/2012, 03:03 AM
Btw your info is really meant alot to me. Greatly appreciate!! Thx so much!!

dkerns06
03/17/2012, 03:13 AM
You can dose your mag all at once usually. That what i usually do. Test mag after a water change then put the current level into the reef calculator, tell it what i want it to be. Then it tells me exactly how much to add to get it there. I usually only even need to adjust my mag life twice a month. Also i only use Epsom salt and never had any problems. I don't trust the purity of mag chloride.

dkerns06
03/17/2012, 03:14 AM
Calculator: http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

It has randy's recipe as one of the choices also.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/17/2012, 07:48 AM
I would boost the magnesium to your target level (maybe about 1300 ppm) over a few days using the magnesium part only. Then each time you finish off a gallon add the designated amount of magnesium and it should stay about where it started unless a salt mix drives it up or down.
:)

raylo3288
03/17/2012, 04:37 PM
Thx so much guys for the support!! Randy if I decided to switch to cal reactor in the future do I need to change the mag recipe? As of last night I started to use the 5:3 ratio on the mag and mix 2.5 cup on the calcium. As of Alk I'm thinking to mix baked and bake soda, I live in Vegas we don't really open door much, but if I use straight baked baking soda the ph will go up like crazy. So I'm thinking if I can mix it I can land the ph in the middle, right?

bertoni
03/17/2012, 05:10 PM
I'd change to the other recipe once I used up what I had. I suppose you could convert what you have to the new recipe by diluting and adding magnesium chloride, but I'm not sure I'd bother.

If you mix a 6:1 ratio of baking soda to sodium carbonate (baked baking soda), the effect on pH should be a bit less than straight baking soda, but I'm not sure I'd bother. Even with straight baking soda, the pH shift is very small.

raylo3288
03/17/2012, 06:11 PM
Got it. What do you guys think of BRS Bubble Magus Dosing Pump BM-T01
? So far I only bought a single Drew dosing pump and stupid me I should of either buy 2 of those or one Bubble Magus Dosing Pump BM-T01. I guess for now I ll run a single dose pump off a electronics timer and dose Alk manually.

ek9vboi
03/17/2012, 10:08 PM
Got it. What do you guys think of BRS Bubble Magus Dosing Pump BM-T01
? So far I only bought a single Drew dosing pump and stupid me I should of either buy 2 of those or one Bubble Magus Dosing Pump BM-T01. I guess for now I ll run a single dose pump off a electronics timer and dose Alk manually.

I have the BM-T01, it's a great dosing pump. A little loud when in use but how often do you really dose in a day. Programming is easy, you have a manual mode as well. The other option is that you can add more dosing pumps (4 more) if needed.

raylo3288
03/18/2012, 01:59 AM
Thx so much for being so patience with me. Thx guys!!

ek9vboi
03/18/2012, 06:42 AM
Thx so much for being so patience with me. Thx guys!!

Anytime, I love RC because so many are willing to help. The search function is great as well!