PDA

View Full Version : Options for 3 watt LED dimmable drivers

SoFloReefer
03/16/2012, 06:27 PM
Right now I have 28 Cree leds. 20 Royal blues and 8 Neutral Whites. I want to add 6 more Neutral Whites so that I can have all the NWs on their own MW ELN driver. I also want to add 8 of the 420nm LEDs. 42 leds is a lot for a 40 breeder but I want to have them controlled to get a strong dusk, high noon, dawn effect. Before I pull the trigger on this, I'm wondering if there are any other options to drive the leds that is more affordable and controllable than the Meanwell ELNs. I seem to remember that some people use custom drivers than can support up to 6 - 3 watt leds. Keep in mind that I have access to abundant free electronic components so if there are boards out there that just need to be soldered up with passive components and a few chips, that could be a very good option for me. Thanks!

der_wille_zur_macht
03/16/2012, 06:35 PM
For the record, the term "3w LED" is more or less meaningless. It helps to know the model of LED and drive current you're planning on running it at.

Inventronics make a range of drivers that are in many ways similar to the ELN Meanwell drivers, except they're available in a wider range of currents/voltages.

There's a big DIY driver thread on here if you're thinking about building from scratch. The one gotcha there is that DIY drivers typically require a separate DC power supply.

SoFloReefer
03/16/2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks for chiming in der wille