PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Marine Buffer - Precip event?

Dannyboy17
03/16/2012, 08:57 PM
Today I added Marine Buffer to the RO resevoir. After an hour, I opened the resevoir and let it empty in the salt mixing drum. The water turned cloudy as all heck. Does this sound like a calcium precipitation event?

And if so, is this water still useable? I left a powerhead running in the drum overnight. I'm hoping I didn't just waste 25 gallons of RO, salt and Buffer.

bertoni
03/16/2012, 09:17 PM
What was in the salt mixing drum? High pH levels can cause precipitation of calcium carbonate in saltwater.

In general, adding a buffer to RO water isn't useful. The pH of RO water is irrelevant, since it is going to conform to the pH of the saltwater to which it's added, or the pH will be set by the salt product that's added.

Dannyboy17
03/16/2012, 09:24 PM
So will the Instant Ocean salt be enough to buffer the RODI to marine environment levels? In which case, I would have no need for marine buffer, if I don't need it for the salt mix OR the RODI.

The buffer was added to RODI which was then sent down to a salt mixing drum that already had saltwater in it.

Is this cloudy water still safe to use? These are fish only tanks that are using the water.

ps thanks for the help Jon

bertoni
03/16/2012, 09:27 PM
If the IO isn't enough, then it's a very, very defective batch. :) I'd probably wait a few days to see whether any precipitation settles to the bottom of the mixing drum. If not, the water definitely is fine to use. Otherwise, you might need to add some calcium and alkalinity to it.

Dannyboy17
03/16/2012, 09:44 PM
Good to know Jon. Appreciate the help.

bertoni
03/16/2012, 10:17 PM
You're welcome! Good luck!