PDA

View Full Version : looking for mentor/advice in a 12 gal JBJ Nano DX build

TeflonTomDosh
03/17/2012, 01:46 AM
So, after purchasing this JBJ nano a few weeks ago and tons of research since, I finally went and made the plunge today and spent the money to have this thing set up. Ideally, I want to be able to keep softies, SPS, LPS all the way up to clams ultimately. So this is what I have so far...and below will be some questions I have.

-12 Gallon Tank
-Maxi Jet 1200 attached to Hydor Flo
-Oceanic Biocube Skimmer
-2 50w heaters (one in tank and another for heating top off/water change water)
-2 24 watt pc's, one 10k, other Actinic(probably buying a pair of ecoxotic panorama pros tomorrow)
-Media Basket for chamber 2 which will contain active carbon, ceramic rings and chaeto. I have purchased a submersible LED for the chaeto as well.
-Refractometer (cause I can't figure out this hydrometer for ####)
-Ammonia Test kit (Planning on buying a master reef test kit to go along with)
-Tropic Marin Reef Pro Salt

Tomorrow I plan on buying 25 lbs of live rock, 12 lbs of live sand, and setting the tank on a 12 on 12 off lighting cycle and letting it run like that (with the skimmer pumping) for a week and then I want to start adding critters.

As far as livestock goes, fish wise, all I want is a clown that's mated with RBTA ( I know, put that in there first so it can find it's "permanent" home) maybe a blenny of some type and a cleaner crew consisting of astrias, blue legs, peppermint shrimp, a cuke or 2, and maybe a crab or 2 and a black brittle star.

I would like to be able to load up with some very colorful softies, SPS and LPS and now time for some questions.

If I'm doing a 20% water change weekly will I have to worry about dosing any type of chemicals, calcium, etc, etc?

How about feeding for the corals, fish, inverts? frozen, flake, phytoplankton...?

What is the best temperature? I planned on keeping it around 77.

Salinity, is 1.026 ideal?

Lighting, will the stock LEDs in the JBJ hood be ample for "night" lighting?

How about the timing of the daytime lights, is 12 on 12 off a good idea?

I am looking for all input I can get on this as I want to have a successful tank and want to thank everyone who's read this so far and look forward to hearing from all of you.

Thanks!

erictorres0311
05/21/2013, 10:18 PM
any updates or new mods?