PDA

View Full Version : Case Study

machodik
03/17/2012, 07:48 AM
Dear all,

I am posting in this forum a case study that I need all reef professional can help me evaluate and possibly found out the real conclusion to this case study:

History: the Nitrate and Phosphate of My 340 liters tanks have been high at an average of No3 (20 ppm) , Po4 (0.25 ppm) and for teh past eight months:

1) I have install a Nitrate Reactor (with Deniballs) and a Phosphate reactor (phosban reactor + Seachem Phosguard)

2) I have also dosing Vodka + Vinegar.

situation:
a) last saturday, I got some Cheato and an unknown Macro Algae from my friend. (wil post picture herewith).

b) starting last saturday, I started to add 1 ml of vodka from my 8 ml , so starting then, I dose 9 ml of vodka + 32 ml of Vinegar.

Today, I tested again my water parameter, the result from API test kit:
No3: 10 ppm (last saturday: 20ppm)
Po4: 0 ppm (almost) (last saturday 0.25ppm)

Question:

Is the drastically dropping of my No3 and Po4 are being cause by the Cheato ? or becasue I added 1 more ml of Vodka? or my Nitrate reactor has already reached to the maturity of teh anaerobic bacteria colonies?

Actually, I am in the middle of planning to add a sulfure denitrator and Calcium reactor (due to my frustration over the unable to lower down my nitrate and phosphate), but now with this result, I have put on hold of my plan.

So, please give me your opnion on this case that I an mow confusing which is teh reason behind of this "Miracle"?

phothos:
1) My Nitrate reactor after several months , the inside have so many sort of mucous like and greenish thing

2) Cheato

3) the other unknown macro algae (can anyone tell me what its name is?)

4) VODKA + VINEGAR

5) Phosban reactor + seachem phosguard

machodik
03/17/2012, 10:23 AM
any comment.....Randy?

HighlandReefer
03/17/2012, 02:38 PM
It takes a while for vodka/vinegar to kick in. Perhaps everything has finally fallen together from all your efforts. Now you can spend more time being happy with your system. ;)

Aquarist007
03/17/2012, 05:33 PM
It takes a while for vodka/vinegar to kick in. Perhaps everything has finally fallen together from all your efforts. Now you can spend more time being happy with your system. ;)

I agree that it is a combination of all of the above

In equilibrium nitrates exist with phosphates in a 14: 4 ratio(I know I am close please correct me if I am off) so when you carbon dose you will notice the levels of nitrates fall much quicker then phosphates

machodik
03/18/2012, 09:59 AM
thanks for your help in your evaluation of this case.

I have to see how the parameter will be going in few days time. I have added a little more of my dosing based on the recipe. but today, I have observed that there is slightly turbidity in my DT. and the inner glass surface have some sort of whitish-like layer which hardly be removed my the glass Scrapper...is this means I having some bacteria boom?

I understand that we have to wait till the No3 level goes to zero before we reduce to half of our dosage. right? perhaps, I have to get back to the 9 ml dose of Vodka + 32 Ml of Vinegar and waited till zero marked before reduced to half. kindly please further advise if this is the correct way.

Cheers,

MD

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/18/2012, 12:17 PM
Bacteria should normally be fairly easy to remove, I think. Maybe it is something else, like calcium carbonate?

There are lots of ideas on how to dose organic carbon. I wouldn't get too hung up on any particular recommendation. I'd go with what seems to be usefully working for that aquarium.

machodik
03/19/2012, 12:41 AM
Bacteria should normally be fairly easy to remove, I think. Maybe it is something else, like calcium carbonate?

There are lots of ideas on how to dose organic carbon. I wouldn't get too hung up on any particular recommendation. I'd go with what seems to be usefully working for that aquarium.

Thanks Randy,

But Calcium Carbonate? I wonder where this came from? as my calcium is just perfect, 440 and did not dose any calcium supplement for sometimes now.

I have got back to my usual 9 ml of VODKA + 32 ml of VINEGAR. this morning my No3 remains as to the one I checked last few days ago : 5 to 10 ppm (drop from 20 ppm) and Po4 is almost Zero.
:)
although my parameters are getting to the normal range (WHICH I HOPE SO), which I am happy that this has some sign of stabilizes and going on a down hill trend on the values of my No3 and Po4. but I need to find out what is really affecting such drop. so do you think it will be a good advise that I have to tested it first, by remaining my Cheato and stop the dosing of my organic carbon (vodka and vinegar) for a while and if the number of No3 and Po4 is climbing up again and by then for sure it is the dosing of carbon that is helping or probably I do the other way around. either way, I will just retained my NO3 reactor unchanged (since it tooks so long to let it stabilizes).

Any comment?

cheers,

MD

bertoni
03/19/2012, 07:55 PM
Sometimes, people see calcium carbonate precipitation events in their tanks, but if you haven't changed the dosing regime lately, that might be less likely. It doesn't sound as if you have any sort of calcium or alkalinity dosing system in place.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/20/2012, 07:02 AM
Maybe it is some sort of tiny calcifying organism?

I'm not really sure. Maybe some bacteria are just hard to scrape off. :)