PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to "wean" off of Cupramine?

SueAndHerZoo
03/17/2012, 06:33 PM
I will be at the 4-week mark in a day or two and will then do a huge water change in the hospital tank and keep the fish in there for another 5 weeks while the display remains fallow. I've read lots on how to start fish on Cupramine but I can't find anything about how to take them off of it. Do I have to lower the concentration of Cupramine slowly or can I just take out the coppered-water and replace it with non-coppered water?

Thanks in advance.
Sue

b0bab0ey
03/17/2012, 07:09 PM
I like to gradually lower my copper level just in case I didn't completely knock out whatever I was treating for. It's much easier on the fish if you suddenly see white spots again and the copper is still halfway where it needs to be. So I usually cut my copper in half with a good WC and then take the rest out two weeks later. However, that being said, it won't hurt the fish at all if you choose to take it all out now.

Triggerfish
03/17/2012, 07:29 PM
how long you plan to keep tank fallow? i would recommend 12 weeks.
yoiu can just reduce the copper treatment at once or just maintain a therapeutic level while you wait out the fallow period.

SueAndHerZoo
03/17/2012, 11:31 PM
OK, thanks for the info, guys. The reason I worried about taking the fish suddently from treated water to non-treated water is because of an experience my LFS had recently. He was treating fish in a tank with copper and they did fine but when he moved them from the copper tank back into regular saltwater, he lost them all. Maybe it's different if you're using copper rather than Cupramine?

In any event, I like the idea of just cutting the concentration by 50% for a week or two and then taking the rest out.

I was going to go fallow for 9 weeks but I suppose longer would be even better. But boy, this waiting and keeping the fish in a hospital tank is grueling. And then when the display tank is finally ready for fish again I'm going to have to go replace the few fish I lost and keep them in QT for 4 weeks so I guess I better get used to maintaining a hospital / QT tank. Had I done that initially I wouldn't be dealing with this "test of patience" right now. :(
Sue

novahobbies
03/18/2012, 03:41 AM
Well hey there stranger! :wave:

MrTuskfish
03/18/2012, 09:26 AM
Just my approach: Because Cupramine really isn't effective at levels under about .35ppm; I see no point in leaving any copper in the QT. Its possible a low dose, like many LFS use, can even hide some parasite problems. If you remove it with Cuprisorb or carbon, you don't have to worry so much about exactly duplicating water parameters, like you do with a huge WC. I like to limit WCs to about 20%, unless there's an emergency.

SueAndHerZoo
03/18/2012, 05:02 PM
Well hey there stranger! :wave:

Rick!!!!! Wow.... been such a long time and on a different forum, too! Never know when paths will cross again. :)

I'm hoping you aren't battling ick or some other fish parasite/disease but I fear that if you're reading in this section that you do have some sort of challenge on your hands.

Now that I know you're here at RC, I'll look for you. :wave:
Sue

SueAndHerZoo
03/18/2012, 05:04 PM
Just my approach: Because Cupramine really isn't effective at levels under about .35ppm; I see no point in leaving any copper in the QT. Its possible a low dose, like many LFS use, can even hide some parasite problems. If you remove it with Cuprisorb or carbon, you don't have to worry so much about exactly duplicating water parameters, like you do with a huge WC. I like to limit WCs to about 20%, unless there's an emergency.

That's why I love posting here..... you get all kinds of feedback and food for thought and all so often it's stuff that you never thought of because you're so stuck on looking only inside the box. I figured it couldn't hurt to leave some cupramine in the system but you've reminded me that it can, in a sense, by disguising or hiding what may be going on with the fish. I have Cuprasorb so I'll use it.

Thanks!
Sue