PDA

View Full Version : My first order with TBS! So fantastic

Muze813
03/18/2012, 11:17 AM
I just received my 25lb order of live rock from Richard and Tampa Bay Saltwater. Picking it up from the airport was a breeze, and I could not be happier with the shipment. TONS of extras. TONS of life! This rock is amazing! It's so awesome I can't stand it. haha It's just so far beyond even what I was expecting. I did not order the full package...although I think that is probably a great way to go. My tank was already cycled and established with some existing rock. I wanted to add in some TBS to give the tank more diversity, and boy did it ever! :) Ended up giving away almost all of my previous rock so that I could fit the TBS. Thank you, Richard! Would definitely order from you again!

Pictures below! :)

Muze813
03/18/2012, 11:27 AM
Here are a couple full tank shots with the new rock. My aquarium is a 27G cube. Viewable from two sides.

Muze813
03/18/2012, 11:39 AM
here are photos of unboxing and some of the extras that Richard threw in. I had told him that I was really hoping for pistol shrimp and mantis. He delivered on that! He also gave me two gorgonians, which are gorgeous. Also two kinds of macro algae in bags. Believe one is a mermaids fan, and the other maybe halimeda? Also a really cool decorator crab.

Sorry! Having trouble posting some of the photos due to file size contraints

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=182164&stc=1&d=1332092103

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=182165&stc=1&d=1332092103 haha always have furry helpers for projects like this

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=182166&stc=1&d=1332092103

Muze813
03/18/2012, 11:47 AM
Some of the small hitch-hikers that I pulled out of the rock. A few gorilla crabs, one baby Alpheus (he's cute!), two porcelain (?) crabs, one small red mythrax crab, hermit, some welk looking snails, small urchin. Gorilla crabs and snails went into my exile tank. Others went into the reef and are doing great!

Muze813
03/18/2012, 11:59 AM
My biggest hitch-hiker! She is so beautiful! She is also caring for a bunch of eggs. Not sure I would be able to get any babies through the planktonic stage, but I will try.

This girl is about four inches long, and now has her own JBJ cube to live in that is far away from my reef tank. haha My husband jokes with me that I am head-over-heels for her...which is probably true. lol

Richard also sent me a slightly smaller green (Wennerae?) mantis bagged. She was also really beautiful. I only had one extra set-up available for a mantis though, so the green girl went to live with my friend who has also been looking for a mantis for a long time. This red one just came in the rock! TBS rock could honestly not be any better.

I am still trying to decide on a name for her!

Cloudburst2000
03/18/2012, 01:15 PM
Looks nice. I got my order Thursday (first part of my order). I haven't removed any of the crabs yet. I have taken out the whelks that I have come across but I don't want to remove the crabs until the 'exile' tank has cycled. I don't want to kill them not even the gorilla crabs. I have, at least, a couple gorilla crabs, a porcelain crab, two unidentified crabs (can't see enough of them to indentify), and either a pistol or mantis shimp clicking away...and that's just what I've seen (or heard LOL). Makes me wonder what is in store for the second part of my order.

mndfreeze
03/23/2012, 01:51 AM
The red mantis will turn green depending on your lighting. Wennerae are colored based on depth and intensity of lighting. Time for you to start haunting the mantis forum here. :D

Man, I really wish I had to cash to order live rock from TBS instead of just dry. I might have to order 10lbs just to help seed it.

Cloudburst2000
03/23/2012, 07:34 AM
The red mantis will turn green depending on your lighting. Wennerae are colored based on depth and intensity of lighting. Time for you to start haunting the mantis forum here. :D

Man, I really wish I had to cash to order live rock from TBS instead of just dry. I might have to order 10lbs just to help seed it.

I think TBS rock would be a perfect seeding rock. I plan on doing that when I set up my larger tank. I won't be able to afford all TBS rock but I plan to do some base rock and then seed with TBS live rock/live sand. Maybe you should look at one of their 'packages' for a smaller sized aquarium where you also receive some live sand. It would be a perfect way to seed your sand also.

Jaxom
03/23/2012, 04:16 PM
Can I suggest another way you could possibly do it, is to order the package for your size tank then subtract the amount of rock you don't want. That way you get the proper amount of things like snails, hermit crabs etc..... Just an idea.