PDA

View Full Version : Bio pellet reactor... tank crashing

Jon.peak
03/18/2012, 07:31 PM
need help ever since i added my biopellet reactor i have lost 4 fish. Hair algea everywhere.... cycno.... did i cause this adding the reactor or could my water be bad... I was thinking maybe my RO DI needed new filters.... I just ordered some today and a TDS meter. Is there a reason why the bio pellets could of caused this and should i turn it off.

_________

75 Gallon Reef, 14 Gallon Biocube
Coralife Light 4-T5HO ATI bulbs, 3 LED Par38 bulbs
Reef Octopus 160 Protein skimmer
Coralife 18watt UV
20L sump/fuge
2-Hydor Koralia 750gph

FIREFISHPAT
03/18/2012, 07:47 PM
I think you should test your nitrates and phosphate. How much pellets did you start. Less than half the dose should you started with. Than in a few weeks add a little more at a time. Ro/Di won't cause death to fish. But could add phoshate which will let hair algea grow. You could of introduced a bactica bloom that could of killed your fish with pellets if not skimmering. I would removed the pellets and test your water and do a water change too.

Toadally
03/18/2012, 08:05 PM
How long have you had the pellets online? It takes over a month or sometimes longer for them to get started. If you have GHA it's probably due to water quality issues and there may be other parameters out of wack. Check all your parameters especially your ammonia level.

karsseboom
03/18/2012, 11:49 PM
Bio pellets would have no effect on you fish I would look into something else.

tmz
03/19/2012, 08:15 AM
If a bacterial bloom occured , spurred on by the pellets and/or an ammonia spike , oxygen depletion would kill fish. Is/was the water cloudy?