PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Question for 46D+ sump

higgleop
03/19/2012, 01:37 AM
Hello, I have a 46G bowfront tank that has been running for ~6 weeks. I've decided to add a sump (probably a 35g tank) with a refugium. My budget for a skimmer is $200-$300. My concern is that this will do too good a job skimming and deplete the iodine etc. in my tank. Is this a serious issue with say the reef octopus XS160, the skimmer I'm leaning towards now? (http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Octopus_Extreme_In_Sump_Protein_Skimmer_w_Gate_Valve_In_Sump_Venturi_Needle_Wheel_Protein_Skimm ers-Reef_Octopus-CV5173-FIPSISNW-vi.html)

shaginwagon13
03/19/2012, 06:25 AM
I don't think your skimmer 'cleanng too well' is a concern a lot of people would be worried about, in fact many try to tune their skimmer to perform as best as possible. The more waste your skimmer removed the better water conditions your tank will have. I'm not sure about the general consensus but I have never tested for iodine, however if you plan to dose it in your tank, test every week so you don't over dose.

higgleop
03/19/2012, 03:27 PM
Well that answers that question then ha. Thanks for your reply. Anyone have any experience with the octopus-XR160, or other skimmer options?