PDA

View Full Version : RIP "Frosty" (Snowflake Eel)

megatron8121
03/19/2012, 01:21 PM
Found my eel on the floor this morning!! Was not very happy but whoever said they were escape artists were right.

Got him and put him in my 55 community tank, then when I upgraded that I moved him over to the new tank but he started being aggressive so I put him in with my lionfish. He was doing real good, but guess he wanted to slip out the only possible place he could.

I have a glass canopy that is sealed the entire way around except in the back right corner where I have only my heater wire, the hole is not even as big as him. He must have pushed up the plastic part a little to get out.

Guess I'll have to cut out some of the plastic to fit the wire in it so it's completely snug, one of my LFS has an awesome snowflake eel that is about 3-4 inches long. (and only 20$ compared to petcos 40) Mine was 10-12 when I got him so he's always been a nice size.

LisaD
03/19/2012, 02:34 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

FWIW, I believe snowflakes are the most likely of any morays to escape. I've seen them hunting in Hawaii, moving across the sand between tide pools. If this is typical behavior, it's no wonder they wander out of tanks! I kept a zebra moray for over 12 years and a Brazilian dragon moray for 5, and neither one ever tried to leave the tank (210, with glass covers that were open in the back). The only eels (2) I've ever lost to carpet surfing were both snowflake eels, even though that tank was better covered than the 210. Just sayin'.

anbosu
03/19/2012, 03:06 PM
How long was it out of the water? They can survive a long time.

megatron8121
03/19/2012, 03:22 PM
No idea But it was dead for sure. It's a wonder my cats or dog didn't get it. It was no more than 8 hours though.

NEK-ap24
03/19/2012, 03:59 PM
I have heard cases where they survived out of water for longer then 8 hours. Crispy skin in fact....I have heard people just putting them back in water and having them come back from the crisp. I haven't had the issue myself, because I was fortunate enough to catch my SFE early after his two escape attempts. After he was in the tank for about 2 months, he grew some and stopped his escape attempts all together. He now lives in a bigger tank and never tried to escape after the transfer. (I think he knows how lucky he is to have me!)

megatron8121
03/19/2012, 04:02 PM
Dang, I didn't try putting him back in. Threw him in the garbage and took it right outside. Wish I would have now.

fish042099
03/19/2012, 04:36 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss :(,my chain link jumped out 3 times, his fourth time he didn't make it. One of those 3 times,I found him dried up on the floor one morning and stiff as a rock. Put him into the tank and he swam away. The fourth time was around christmas and I didn't check my tank for a long time. When I did it had been a day from when he jumped out and he was starting to rot.

anbosu
03/20/2012, 09:58 AM
Dang, I didn't try putting him back in. Threw him in the garbage and took it right outside. Wish I would have now.

That's why I asked, I guess I should have been more specific.