PDA

View Full Version : First Nano

ejdustin
03/20/2012, 08:17 AM
As the post says this is my first nano tank. I currently have a 120 gal reef tank but my fiancee is a little intimidated by it. She loves the tank but is afraid to really get involved with it so I figured get her a nano. She is extremely excited and ready to dive in now. It is the standard biocube 14, the newer design with the pc lighting and led strip. I plan on leaving everything as is for the time being to just get her started. Does anyone have any experience with this tank, what corals will she really be able to keep in there? Also I would like to check the stock list as I don't have any experience with a nano tank. She plans on having 2 clowns and a watchman goby for fish and thats it (I'm hoping this is fine without a skimmer). Then a mix or crabs and shrimp with a RBT anenome. Possibly through soem zoos in there and a frogspawn? Thanks for your help!!

TundraGuy
03/20/2012, 08:30 AM
Sounds like a good list. Have you gone out and picked up some rock or sand yet? That’s the best place to start. A tip I try to give people is starting from the rock try to figure out what kind of structures you want to have in the tank. For instance a wall, a couple islands, an arch, a couple arches, bonsai, or a minimalist and on and on. Look around on this forum at different ways people have stacked the rocks this will give you the best way of knowing what will be right for your tank (coral wise). Each one of these offers pros and cons for coral. But if you’re looking for easy coral with a lot of color stick to zoas and rics with a torch coral here and there. I think for a beginner nano person you can’t go wrong with zoas and rics. Happy reefing.

ejdustin
03/20/2012, 09:20 AM
I used rock and sand from my tank just to jumpstart hers, there is about 10 lbs of live rock in there not quite minimal but not over whelming. What about the lights though will they be sufficient for the corals. I have always had MH or now LED.