PDA

View Full Version : Possible adverse effect of vinegar on anemone?

xCry0x
03/20/2012, 11:36 AM
So I recently had a newly added BTA crash and die after a little over a month, which I have a thread about in the anemone forum. As far as I can tell there were no 'normal' factors leading to this such as bad light, poor water quality etc.

Something that was brought up was my use of vinegar for carbon dosing. Another BTA keeper said when they tried dosing vinegar their BTA's deflated and when they quit dosing the BTA's went back to normal.

I had a similar experience where I was dosing carbon, then phased it out. I added a BTA which was doing 'fine' for about 2 weeks then I started dosing vinegar again in combination with adding a gfo reactor. I did not connect the dots with the vinegar possibly being harmful but over the past two weeks my BTA deflated and yesterday started to go nuclear and had to be sucked out of the tank.

Was wondering if anyone has healthy nems in a tank they dose with vinegar?

Trying to figure out what went wrong in my tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/20/2012, 01:31 PM
IME, overdosing of vinegar (410 ml per day to a 120 gal display) caused my RBTA to brown up somewhat as the zoox levels increased, but it otherwise seemed healthy. It did not cause other apparent issues, and when I backed down to lower levels (say, 50-100 mL per day) the darkness went away.

It is certainly possible that any organism suffering from a bacterial infection might be worsened by organic carbon dosing if it causes the pathogenic bacteria to grow faster, but in general, folks with anemones use carbon dosing OK. I currently have two giganteas and I dose vinegar. :)

xCry0x
03/20/2012, 02:08 PM
IME, overdosing of vinegar (410 ml per day to a 120 gal display) caused my RBTA to brown up somewhat as the zoox levels increased, but it otherwise seemed healthy. It did not cause other apparent issues, and when I backed down to lower levels (say, 50-100 mL per day) the darkness went away.

It is certainly possible that any organism suffering from a bacterial infection might be worsened by organic carbon dosing if it causes the pathogenic bacteria to grow faster, but in general, folks with anemones use carbon dosing OK. I currently have two giganteas and I dose vinegar. :)

That is a good point, I was reading the thread on the use of wide spectrum antibiotics with anemones the other day.