PDA

View Full Version : What size holes in overflow....?

rovster
03/20/2012, 04:54 PM
Hi all. I am getting a custom rimless tank built. The dimensions will be 52x24x19 which will be around 100 gal give or take. I will be using either a 40 breeder or possibly the large trigger systems sump/fuge and an Eheim 1262 for a return. The " standard" overflow configuration from the tank builder is a corner overflow box with 2 holes, one drain and one return. The builder told me that with a durso, if it's properly plumbed, should be plenty quiet. The overflow does come with a custom lid which the builder told me that helps reduce the noise.

I have been researching overflows and have learned quite a bit. Im pretty dead set on a corner overflow box due to where the tank is being positioned (up against a corner:spin1:), and I want to keep it relatively minimal, so I decided that a herbie style would fit me best.

Given the information above, if I were to go with a herbie, what sizes would you drill the holes for the siphon drain, emergency, and return. Since it's custom, I can pretty much ask for whatever I want. I was thinking 1" for the return and the siphon, and 1.5 for the emergency? Would that be too big?

After talking with the tank maker, I'm a bit confused. Fwiw, I plan on a mixed reef, with a good amount of colored sticks, and will be using 2 mp40s for flow. My goal is to keep things relatively quiet. Thanks! :wavehand:

uncleof6
03/20/2012, 08:13 PM
Hi all. I am getting a custom rimless tank built. The dimensions will be 52x24x19 which will be around 100 gal give or take. I will be using either a 40 breeder or possibly the large trigger systems sump/fuge and an Eheim 1262 for a return. The " standard" overflow configuration from the tank builder is a corner overflow box with 2 holes, one drain and one return. The builder told me that with a durso, if it's properly plumbed, should be plenty quiet. The overflow does come with a custom lid which the builder told me that helps reduce the noise.

If the system was going to be quiet, why would this even come up? IKR? Dursos make noise, and bubbles, unless the flow is very low.

I have been researching overflows and have learned quite a bit. Im pretty dead set on a corner overflow box due to where the tank is being positioned (up against a corner:spin1:), and I want to keep it relatively minimal, so I decided that a herbie style would fit me best.

Given the information above, if I were to go with a herbie, what sizes would you drill the holes for the siphon drain, emergency, and return. Since it's custom, I can pretty much ask for whatever I want. I was thinking 1" for the return and the siphon, and 1.5 for the emergency? Would that be too big?

After talking with the tank maker, I'm a bit confused. Fwiw, I plan on a mixed reef, with a good amount of colored sticks, and will be using 2 mp40s for flow. My goal is to keep things relatively quiet. Thanks! :wavehand:

Two holes in the overflow, and run the return up over the back. However that may interfere with the aesthetics somewhat.

Three holes in the overflow, 1" hole for a siphon, 1" hole for a dry emergency, 1" hole for the return. Simple, clean, straight forward. With a 1262, you won't have enough flow to require larger size plumbing. Make sure that the maker, knows to make the overflow large enough to accommodate the plumbing e.g. the down turned elbow for the siphon, with the other two pipes in proximity.

rovster
03/20/2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks! I've seen some tanks that run the siphon line without the durso and just a few inches below the surface in the overflow. Do you know what I'm referring to. Anyone care to comment on the configuration for a herbie?

We did talk about doing three holes in the overflow. He then told me he can drill them whatever size I want hence this post ;)

uncleof6
03/20/2012, 08:49 PM
ummm I just did. I described a "herbie" drain system..........siphon, dry emergency and the third hole for a "return" .... however, the way I describe a siphon and the way some describe a siphon are different at times.

Down turned elbow for a siphon. Open pipe works, down turned elbow prohibits the possibility for a vortex to form, if the system is adjusted properly. Eh, legano, illegano. The down turned elbow does not make a standpipe a durso. It is the allowing air into the standpipe that makes it a durso: a hole in the cap. A siphon is a siphon. Some think the tee and elbow configuration is pretentious, I disagree. :)

rovster
03/21/2012, 06:53 PM
Got it! Makes sense. Three holes at 1 inch each it is. Thanks man!