PDA

View Full Version : Part Time GFO Reactor?

fishpoop
03/20/2012, 10:00 PM
I'm pretty new to using GFO in a reactor but I recently got a BRS deluxe reactor and it's keeping the PO4 at zero, all the time. I know that GFO can clump up, so can I run this thing 12 hrs on and 12 off without clumping?
Using Hanna checker and I'm aware of the margin of error.

DHyslop
03/20/2012, 11:08 PM
You can, but I'd wait and see if you actually have a clumping problem before you bother. Not everyone has this issue.

bertoni
03/20/2012, 11:32 PM
I would be careful about turning off the circulation. That'll let the reactor become anoxic, which could lead to anaerobic decay components, like hydrogen sulfide, getting dumped into the tank. Personally, I'd just let it run, and be safe.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/21/2012, 06:04 AM
I would just put less GFO in it, if too low of phosphate is a concern. :)

fishpoop
03/21/2012, 07:21 AM
Ok thanks guys, I did not think it would become anoxic after 12 hrs but when I think about it, I have no idea how long it takes :) I'll try less GFO.

Ron Reefman
03/21/2012, 08:09 AM
Run less GFO and if your phosphate stays down, run even less. If it still stays down, don't run any. In 2 years I've used GFO once for 6 weeks. Hair algae went away, the system matured and I haven't needed it since. Why run it if you don't need it?

fishpoop
03/21/2012, 08:51 AM
Good point and I won't, if I don't. Over the last 6 months using carbon dosing, better maintenance practices and now the GFO I have reduced PO4 from .5 to 0 and nitrate from 50 to 1. Worrying about having my levels too low is a new (and nice) problem for me.

djkms
03/21/2012, 11:08 PM
I would be careful about turning off the circulation. That'll let the reactor become anoxic, which could lead to anaerobic decay components, like hydrogen sulfide, getting dumped into the tank. Personally, I'd just let it run, and be safe.

Would the water become anoxic within 12 hours? If so would I be able to maybe run it 4 on 4 off 4 on, etc?

I was hoping to do the same thing as the OP to be honest. I run a lot of macros in my system and they can only keep my PO4 between .06 - .08. GFO brings my PO4 to 0 and can keep it there pretty easy but I don't want to starve my macros. I tested 0 on my Hanna ULR phosphorous on Sunday when I removed the GFO. Today, 3 days later its back to 14ppb. Just trying to figure out a way to balance it not to tick off my SPS but enough to keep my macros alive.

bertoni
03/21/2012, 11:27 PM
A small volume of water like that might become anoxic very rapidly, potentially within an hour, since it's got a lot of bacteria (hopefully), and not much water volume. I wouldn't turn off circulation at all, personally.

fishpoop
03/22/2012, 01:02 AM
One last thought, I have an unused outlet on a wave maker that would cycle it every 4 minutes.....

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/22/2012, 06:08 AM
That just sounds complicating, compared to using less. :D

fishpoop
03/22/2012, 08:08 AM
Hmmmm... unnecessarily complicated
Has my name written all over it! :)

bertoni
03/22/2012, 10:04 PM
It might also be hard on the pump. Starting and stopping tends to induce a lot of wear.