PDA

View Full Version : Help me stock my cube!

hostage46
03/21/2012, 01:25 PM
OK folks,

I'm back in the hobby after a 12 year layoff. This weekend I'll be starting the cycle on my 60 gallon cube. AI SOL Blue lights (single unit). Apex Controller, MP10. Reef Octopus skimmer in a 25 gallon"ish" custom sump with Cheato and a DSB.

It will be a mixed tank, that is SPS and LPS and a few clams.

I'm mostly in it for the coral, last time around I have a clown, a few damsels, and to be honest that was it.

I'd like to be proactive and select a population of fish that are interesting and will get along. The only thing I'm really set in is a clown or two.

I will observe strict QT procedures. So I expect to be ready for fish in a month or so, I'd like to begin with a list vs going to the LFS and buying what looks cool.

Looking forward to suggestions...
Dan in Dallas

thegrun
03/21/2012, 01:36 PM
Along with the Clowns:
Flame Angel (always a risk of them nipping at corals, but my last two have been saints)

Helfrich Firefish (Over the years I've had the best luck with Helfrich Firefish over other Firefish, they seem to spend nearly all their time in the open water where Purple and standard Firefish seem to hide in caves most of the day).

Royal Gramma (nice colorful common fish)

Starry Blenny (a fun fish to watch)

Six Line Wrasse (everyone I've kept eventually went rouge (which may be a good reason not to add this fish) and had to be removed from my tanks due to harassing the other fish, but they are great fun to watch)

xCry0x
03/21/2012, 02:33 PM
Clown goby's are fun, they sit out on coral all day and do not hide under rocks like other goby species..

with a 60g you have quite a few wrasse options which are all colorful and interesting.

With a 60g tank I don't think a flame angel nipping would be a huge concern because there would be enough surface area to graze.

I currently have 2 clowns, a 6 line wrasse and a yellow clown goby.

If I had a larger tank I would probably stock it with 2 clowns, a flame angel then possibly something fun like a longnose hawk fish, a blue spot jaw fish and/or a midas blenny.

Yellow candy hogfish are pretty looking in person as well.. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+35+1157&pcatid=1157

My ideal tank would consist of multiple smaller fish as opposed to larger fish like a tang or large angels, but that is a personal choice because I feel the highly active fish like tangs are restricted unless you have a truly huge system.

dzfish17
03/21/2012, 04:49 PM
I'll second the royal gramma or maybe an orchid dottyback. If your looking at a damsel, the starcki is a good choice... not as aggressive as some of the others and IMO the most beautiful damsel. I also like the midas blenny and a tiger watchman goby http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=tiger%20goby&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CDQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.liveaquaria.com%2Fproduct%2Fprod_display.cfm%3Fc%3D15%2B31%2B224%26pcatid%3D224&ei=MlpqT-6gDeORiQKhjLiSBQ&usg=AFQjCNFs0HKGgEDQSRs1FGtnkyo-QSqqxQ&sig2=YJ658yXzKemAlvlkbNgtCA

BlueFyre
03/21/2012, 08:25 PM
If I had a 60 cube I would put in it:

A pair of perc clowns
yellow headed jawfish
Starry Blenny
Flasher wrasse(they pretty much all look awesome)

hostage46
03/21/2012, 08:55 PM
This seems usefull
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

xCry0x
03/21/2012, 10:14 PM
Yea but that chart kinda misses how mean some fish can be. It also puts all fish in groups.

An ocellaris clown is peaceful while a maroon can grow huge and try to kill everything including you.

Peter T
03/22/2012, 05:13 AM
My black and white ocellaris wants to kill me more than any fish in the tank. I swear that thing is the devil.

For stocking a 60:
- Pair of percula or ocellaris clowns
- Starry Blenny
- Dwarf Angel (I'd go with a coral beauty, I like their colors)
- 6-line wrasse added last (definitely my favorite fish)

rogermccray
03/22/2012, 05:37 AM
From what i have read and my own experience a sixline is going to turn into a bully, i am planning on taking mine out when change tanks in the future.

feh
03/22/2012, 05:46 AM
Go bare bottom and carpet it with GPS. :D

rogermccray
03/22/2012, 06:01 AM
Go bare bottom and carpet it with GPS. :D

GPS? or do you mean GSP? I would like to do a GSP carpet on a small tank someday...

sponger0
03/22/2012, 06:25 AM
Fir a 60 gallon cube, here are some things I would suggest:

If your in it for corals, Id stay away from angels. Even if they dont nip at first, you have a 50/50 chance they wont

Fairy wrasse
Algae Blennies....Im a fan of Starry Blennies. Mine is a so fun to watch.
Clown fish, minus clarkii or maroons unless you dont mind losing other fish lol
Im not a fan of damsels due to once they mature
Scooter blenny if you can train him to eat prepared food which shouldnt be too difficult. Mine is a fattie
Firefish
Gobies
If you setup a deep sand bed you can look at jawfish. I wish I would have made my sandbed alot deeper so I can get one.
Blue or yellow assessor
Dottybacks