PDA

View Full Version : Pairing mitratus butterflies

aquaph8
03/21/2012, 07:59 PM
Whats the best way to go about pairing these? Any info on the subject is appreciated, thanks.

nonimmigrant
03/22/2012, 12:27 AM
Brett, of all of my Roaops pairs, the mitratus was the easiest. I just put the newbie in an isolation box in the DT for three days and off he / she went. The newbie was about 0.5" smaller than the one in the DT. Very easy in my case and they are always together. Declivis was the harder two to pair...

suta4242
03/22/2012, 08:15 PM
Nonimmigrant, may I ask how long you have had your pairs? And how large / mature were the butterflys at the time of pairing?

Just curious about whether this has worked for you over the long term or whether its still early days etc... :cheers:

nonimmigrant
03/22/2012, 08:57 PM
Nonimmigrant, may I ask how long you have had your pairs? And how large / mature were the butterflys at the time of pairing?

Just curious about whether this has worked for you over the long term or whether its still early days etc... :cheers:

Burgessi have been paired for 5 years, Mitratus 3.5 years thereabouts, and Declivis 2 years. They were all at the 3-3.5" range when introduced. The only pair I have chasing issues with are the Declivis pair. The Burgessi and Mitratuses do not exhibit any self-aggression or aggression towards the others. To be honest, I'm likely going to get rid of the Declivis for no other reason than that they are my least fav of the three species in the tank...

aquaph8
03/22/2012, 09:11 PM
Can you give me details on your tank? Size? Reef? Any problems between the different roaops species upon introduction? Any other tips for keeping them? Thanks

nonimmigrant
03/22/2012, 10:52 PM
Can you give me details on your tank? Size? Reef? Any problems between the different roaops species upon introduction? Any other tips for keeping them? Thanks

Brett, they are in the 400G and the only real issue I've had is the declivis dynamic. The mitratus are actually the most laid back of the three. IME, they have all been pigs when eating and take everything from fish, to shrimp, to flake to nori. They'd probably have their hand at a casting iron if I threw one in. Way back when, I did have an overly aggressive Burgessi, which I switched for one of the ones in tank today. If you go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-bpXRRzP8k

you can see a short vid of them coming in and out to eat with the others. Best, Chris

aquaph8
03/30/2012, 07:40 PM
awesome video ^^^^.