PDA

View Full Version : Drain pipe into sock bubbling

A.VOID
03/23/2012, 12:15 PM
If the drain pipe into the sump drain sock is bubbling/ gurgling at the exit pipe, do I need to lengthen or shorten the drain pipe?

I was thinking shorten, but it's not that long now

uncleof6
03/23/2012, 12:17 PM
The length is not the problem. The flow rate and pipe size is problem. Slow the flow rate, and/or increase the drain/standpipe size will cure the problem. Other gimmicks are just band aids, and most often, the flow rate needs to be slowed. Can't beat the physics, without using a siphon system.

seapug
03/23/2012, 12:19 PM
generally you shorten it, but more often you need to put an elbow on it so the air and water are ejected out the end right at the water surface and don't have the buildup and release cycle that causes the burping. Or, as Uncle mentioned, slowing the pump or using a full siphon drain setup are options as well.

It usually takes some experimenting, but this simple mod worked on my tank:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee318/picklethepug/IMAG0204.jpg

codeblue48
03/23/2012, 12:30 PM
Good info here. I am also having the same issue. I'll try messing with my drain lines ball valve.

Curtis.H
03/23/2012, 01:07 PM
Also search for durso, herbie and bean animal on here. Those are all different types of drain systems.

A.VOID
03/23/2012, 02:26 PM
Right, I should have stated I already have a reverse durso with 2 45's + 2 90's on my pipe.
I turned down the gate valve to about 2/3. We'll see how that works ...

It's a 1.5" drainpipe, so the pipe size isn't the issue.

uncleof6
03/23/2012, 02:47 PM
Good info here. I am also having the same issue. I'll try messing with my drain lines ball valve.

Should not have a valve on the drain line, without a dry emergency. Valves on the drain lines should only be used for a siphon drain line. The valve itself could be the cause of your problems, aside from flow rate and pipe size.

uncleof6
03/23/2012, 02:50 PM
Right, I should have stated I already have a reverse durso with 2 45's + 2 90's on my pipe.
I turned down the gate valve to about 2/3. We'll see how that works ...

It's a 1.5" drainpipe, so the pipe size isn't the issue.

Then it is a question of the flow rate. The physics, or the "why" of it, are well understood by some, and the solutions are also very clear.

Concerning valves in drain lines, see my last post. Should only have a valve in the return line.

Matt Miller
03/23/2012, 02:54 PM
I would shorten the drain pipe till its a half inch above waterline. Filtersock? If so, stuff a grocery bag in there. This is how I've quieted my drain.

A.VOID
03/23/2012, 03:57 PM
Then it is a question of the flow rate. The physics, or the "why" of it, are well understood by some, and the solutions are also very clear.

Concerning valves in drain lines, see my last post. Should only have a valve in the return line.

While I understand the need for a Dry Emergency pipe, I don't see the impact of a valve in the drain line. I suppose it could be another point where something could stick, but I used a gate valve as opposed to a ball valve. I have about 3 sections before that to catch/ stop large debris/ critters.

Anyways, I nudged the return pipe valve too. Bubbling at exit seems to have quieted. Thanks!

uncleof6
03/23/2012, 04:12 PM
While I understand the need for a Dry Emergency pipe, I don't see the impact of a valve in the drain line. I suppose it could be another point where something could stick, but I used a gate valve as opposed to a ball valve. I have about 3 sections before that to catch/ stop large debris/ critters.

Anyways, I nudged the return pipe valve too. Bubbling at exit seems to have quieted. Thanks!

Well in reality, there is no point to having a valve in a drain line. Flow rate is controlled by the valve on the return pump. Flow in will always equal flow out--it is not possible for more water to drain out of the tank than the return pump sends to the tank--hence the valve is pointless from the word go. There is never a need to restrict a drain line, unless it is a siphon--and with a siphon different principles are involved.

In terms of open channel drains, (dursos and all modifications of the same) they operate on the principle of laminar flow, (water flow on the walls of the pipe, calm air in the middle.) Laminar flow being the opposite of turbulent flow. A valve in the drain line creates more turbulence in the drain line, combining with the pipe being over full of water, (flow rate, pipe size, restricitions) which creates turbulence, so the valve exacerbates the problem. Turbulence being the cause of noise, bubbles, and instability (in some cases.) Put simply, it is counter productive. Without considering the plug risk, which is also increased.