PDA

View Full Version : carbon dosing hicup

hedgedrew
03/23/2012, 03:24 PM
guys after a few weeks of vodka dosing and vinegar, i finally ran into some issues. as i increased my dose, i bleached out 2 peices of sps ,loripes species. and 2 peices of tenuis ans one milli started to discolor and pale out badly . my alk is not too high 7.5 to 8 dkh on elos and 8 to 8.5 on lamotte . have cheto ball growing and phosphates are zero but nitrates never went to zero but did get cut in bhalf from 5 pmm to 2.5ppm so is this because phosphates are zero and i have imbalances or do i have just so much light that tank got too sterile clean and low nutrients. and now that i backed off the dose now what ??? do i try to get nitrate to zero or am i low enough?

bertoni
03/23/2012, 07:18 PM
I'd back off on the dose a bit for the moment. The bleaching might be due to a low nutrient level, but we don't have the equipment available to determine that, in reality.

I think that nitrate at 2.5 ppm should be fine. If you want to drive it lower, you might in theory need to find a way to add phosphate to the system. For the moment, I'd just see whether reducing the dose solves the bleaching problem.

hedgedrew
03/23/2012, 09:59 PM
Yes i did that and today was fine. No bleacing at 15 per lower dose at least for moment

bertoni
03/23/2012, 11:46 PM
Okay, I'd hold steady for a while before doing any further experiments. That'll give the corals some time to recover.