PDA

View Full Version : gas in a reef tank

sneaton
03/24/2012, 04:51 PM
i just got done mowing my lawn....when i came in the house my fish looked hungry so i put a sheet of nori in,and after i stuck my hand in for a couple seconds i realized i had spilled gas on my hand a hour before,so i pulled it out......i did wash my hand after the spill but i could smell it on my hand still.....its been a hour since putting the nori in the tank and everything seems fine........ How long after a contamination will coral and fish show signs of illness?.....i do run carbon......when would you consider my tank in the clear(how soon would i see signs)so i can quit worrying

daviesri
03/24/2012, 04:55 PM
It has had a fair amount of time to evaporate so it would not be as bad a dumping gas directly in tank, but I would do a sizable water change just to further dilute than to just wait and see.

sneaton
03/24/2012, 05:26 PM
im not able to do a large water change today.....how long does it normally take coral/fish to react? im pretty sure im just paranoid and everything is fine because my hand was only in a couple seconds.....

daviesri
03/24/2012, 05:39 PM
Based on the fact it is 75 gallons and you got a skimmer and npx. Unless you soaked your hand pretty heavily it is highly probable that it will have no effect at all. I personally would not be that worried. I was figuring that if you could change a chunk of water you would feel better.

If your hand was wet with fuel when you put it in the tank I would be more concerned.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/24/2012, 05:40 PM
I do not think it is an issue. The hydrocarbons in gas when highly diluted won't hurt anything. If you use GAC, it will bind readily to it. I wouldn't do an unusual water change. :)

sneaton
03/24/2012, 07:05 PM
thanks you guys.....if i didnt have you, i'd be a stressed out mess....there is nothing better than reassurance....

sneaton
03/24/2012, 07:08 PM
by the way,that was a great article you wrote on phosphates Randy:bounce1:

daviesri
03/24/2012, 07:59 PM
Glad to help. The Reef Chemist's scientifiic approach is clearly more reassuring than mine.

greech
03/24/2012, 08:58 PM
I do not think it is an issue. The hydrocarbons in gas when highly diluted won't hurt anything. If you use GAC, it will bind readily to it. I wouldn't do an unusual water change. :)

It really wouldn't take much gas to do some harm to a 75 gallon system. The target level for benzene in Florida is 1 ppb and the EPAs MCL is only 5 ppb. However, based on the duration that went by and the fact that you did wash you hand, I would not be all that concerned. Gas is full of organics so your skimmer will help a great deal. If you have carbon in your system, you may want to change that fairly soon.

sneaton
03/24/2012, 09:18 PM
i will plan on changing the gac in the morning....thanks for the advice

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/25/2012, 07:29 AM
It really wouldn't take much gas to do some harm to a 75 gallon system. The target level for benzene in Florida is 1 ppb and the EPAs MCL is only 5 ppb. However, based on the duration that went by and the fact that you did wash you hand, I would not be all that concerned. Gas is full of organics so your skimmer will help a great deal. If you have carbon in your system, you may want to change that fairly soon.

OK, I can accept that there are concerns for benzene, but those are likely for chronic exposure and benzene is probably the biggest concern in gas. They would not likely be for transient exposure of marine organisms. It would also take more gas in the tank to reach that level than is going to come off his hands after they are apparently dry and were only in the tank for a few seconds to get to 5 ppb (5 ug/L) benzene. The EPA requires gas to contain only 1% benzene or less.

So 0.1 mL of gas contains 0.001 g of benzene. That would be 1,000 ug. Put into 75 gallons, that is only 3.5 ppb. I expect much than than 0.1 mL came off his skin into the water. :)

greech
03/25/2012, 04:03 PM
Completely agree the OP doesn't have an issue. Just wanted to point out that petroleum products do contain fairly potent toxins and it a closed tank you can consider that a pretty direct exposure.

Swirlygig
06/11/2012, 05:07 PM
What about gas fumes harming a reef tank?

My garage can leaked and my house is saturated with the smell of gasoline...I am a bit concerned. Anything to worry about?

I removed the can and have the garage open to air out.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/11/2012, 05:35 PM
If you're concerned, I'dd add some extra GAC, or replace what you have. That's about all I'd so unless something is obviously ailing. :)

Swirlygig
06/11/2012, 08:18 PM
Great thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/12/2012, 06:06 AM
:thumbsup:

Happy Reefing. :)