PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Gravity Feeding There Skimmer From Overflow?

krzyphsygy
03/24/2012, 07:32 PM
This is something I'v seen done but I am not sure how to do it? How do you know if your getting enough flow into the skimmer? I know the count rule and all that, but how do you know it will work before plumbing it?

My return pump is a mag 9.5 and my drain size is a 1 inch, my tank is a 90gal. My skimmer is an H&S A150 and the feed pump is supposed to be at around 250gph

Anyone know how to plum this? Thanks

krzyphsygy
03/24/2012, 08:30 PM
I hear this really boosts performance by about 10%-20% on any skimmer because your surface water is entering the skimmer directly...all the sludge that can some times accumulate on the top of the water gets skimmer out right away.

jmarko
03/24/2012, 09:16 PM
I have this and I have a y that feeds two valves I into skimmer I into sump then I can control how much to each easy. Hope that helps

krzyphsygy
03/24/2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks, that helps. Do you run a straight shot to the skimmer and tee off into the sump or vise versa? How did you measure the gph in the skimmer

USC-fan
03/24/2012, 10:49 PM
Its so easy. Just like you say. Straight to the skimmer and the tee go into sump. With the h&s you just want the water level where the skimmer cup connects. Too much water just close the input valve to lower water level. Gph is not important since the water level is what matters. Set the water level you set the gph at the sametime.

I also run my phosban reactor off my overflow.

Also don't worry about the bubbles from the overflow into the skimmer... you will get them and its a good thing.

On the pipe that runs off the tee into the sump. You do not want to put any valves on this.

krzyphsygy
03/24/2012, 11:09 PM
Its so easy. Just like you say. Straight to the skimmer and the tee go into sump. With the h&s you just want the water level where the skimmer cup connects. Too much water just close the input valve to lower water level. Gph is not important since the water level is what matters. Set the water level you set the gph at the sametime.

I also run my phosban reactor off my overflow.

Also don't worry about the bubbles from the overflow into the skimmer... you will get them and its a good thing.

On the pipe that runs off the tee into the sump. You do not want to put any valves on this.

So close the input valve on the skimmer, meaning the standpipe or place a ball valve after the tee off and close that off? Thanks

USC-fan
03/24/2012, 11:26 PM
Oh I forgot the h&s do not come with a valve on input. Yes you need to put a ball valve on the skimmer input.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x239/methodkey/10.jpg

This is how mine came. You adjust that ball valve to set the water level. You need to add a valve.