PDA

View Full Version : HOB/In Sump skimmer

rathos
03/25/2012, 05:17 AM
As the title says I am looking for a good protein skimmer that can be used HOB or in sump. Currently I am running without a sump, but I want to remedy that in the near future, but I would like to run a protein skimmer now and transfer it to the sump when needed.

I believe some of the coral life skimmers said they came with parts to be used as HOB or in sump, but I am not completely sold on them as they seem cheap. It will be going on a 55 gallon tank.

Thanks.

rathos
03/27/2012, 04:43 AM
Bueller.... Bueller...

fishgate
03/27/2012, 04:56 AM
I have a brand-new in the box coralife 125 skimmer that I never got around to returning and it is HOB or in skimmer capable. I would have used it despite this boards poo poo'ing of it, but it requires over 5" of clearance to HOB. So I got an HOB that is not convertible but requires less space. It seem solid to me not cheap at all.

hscoert
03/27/2012, 06:08 AM
The Reef Octopus skimmers are nice. They can be a little expensive, but a lot of people have great success with using them.

hscoert
03/27/2012, 06:09 AM
Just thought I would chime in, as I'm also looking to upgrade my skimmer for my 250G mixed reef

BigCountry74
03/27/2012, 07:05 AM
The reef octo HOBs will not run in sumps (unless you have a really high baffle setup in that section). I tried a RO BF100 in my sump and had to sell it and get a NWB150.

Most HOBs require a decent amount of water (high water line), so running them in sumps are hard to do since you kinda want the opposite of that in the sump.

It's going to be hard to find a good hybrid that's actually good. I would run a HOB until you get a sump. Then sell the HOB and get a sump model. A skimmer is something you do not want to skimp out on.