PDA

View Full Version : What kind of scorp?

DoubleM 10
03/25/2012, 09:24 PM
Hey everyone. I just picked up this guy.

He ate frozen before the fuzzy I just got. I couldn't beloved it.

Wondering if anyone could give me and ID

Thank you

AlexS95
03/25/2012, 10:44 PM
I'd say Scorpaenodes littoralis.

DoubleM 10
03/26/2012, 10:03 AM
^^^^ that is about the closest one i have found.

any other ideas

DoubleM 10
03/26/2012, 10:30 PM
Anyone?

clowntriggerfis
03/26/2012, 10:44 PM
i'd say scorpaenodes littoralis.

+1

DoubleM 10
03/26/2012, 11:43 PM
+1

I hope so. I really like this little guy. Kind of an oddball. IMO all tanks need an oddball lol

Netspawn
03/27/2012, 12:27 AM
Very cool looking scorp.

Wolverine
03/27/2012, 10:10 AM
I'd say Scorpaenodes littoralis.

That's my thought as well. Maybe Greg or Frank will chime in.

namxas
03/27/2012, 11:41 AM
That would be Scorpaenodes caribbaeus (reef scorpionfish). Definitely a cool find!

We've had our specimen close to a couple of years now, and it's a great fish. A bit cryptic, and definitely not a swimmer, but a good stick feeder. We normally see ours when its hungry. It will appreciate overhangs and caves a bit more than most scorps, and you'll often find it upside down against the "ceiling" of its lair.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/Our%20Fish/cute2700.jpg

seahorsedreams
03/27/2012, 11:45 AM
Yup! That's like our guy alright. We really like this guy for some reason. I'll be interested in how yours feeds.

DoubleM 10
03/27/2012, 02:01 PM
Yup! That's like our guy alright. We really like this guy for some reason. I'll be interested in how yours feeds.

Thanks for help guys. I was between the one you said and the other one mentioned. It looked like both. What made you say the Caribbean one? Just so I can identify others?

Feeding? When I pit Mysis in the tank. He ate 1 when it touched his mouth. All the others he let go. I fed ghost shrimp today for the fuzzy and both of them fed forociously. I hope he trains easy and same with the fuzzy

namxas
03/27/2012, 03:53 PM
Actually, S. caribbaeus has a couple of really good ID "handles". The first one is the "mask" of spots across its eyes, the second are the spotted pectoral and caudal fins and the line of spots on the caudal peduncle. Finally, there are the 3-4 dark body bands, which can be a bit misleading, as they can run together, as in your specimen. That dark band around your fish's mid-section is really a couple of bands that are close enuff together to become a single band. Additionally, as your fish matures, it will tend to get a "humped" appearance where it looks kind of like the letter D lying on its flat side.

S. littoralis (Cheekspot Scorpionfish) is most easily recognized by the large dark spot on the posterior edge of its opercula ("cheek"). It lacks the mask of spots and the body bands of S. caribbaeus.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/Our%20Fish/prettyred700.jpg

DoubleM 10
03/27/2012, 04:27 PM
Actually, S. caribbaeus has a couple of really good ID "handles". The first one is the "mask" of spots across its eyes, the second are the spotted pectoral and caudal fins and the line of spots on the caudal peduncle. Finally, there are the 3-4 dark body bands, which can be a bit misleading, as they can run together, as in your specimen. That dark band around your fish's mid-section is really a couple of bands that are close enuff together to become a single band. Additionally, as your fish matures, it will tend to get a "humped" appearance where it looks kind of like the letter D lying on its flat side.

S. littoralis (Cheekspot Scorpionfish) is most easily recognized by the large dark spot on the posterior edge of its opercula ("cheek"). It lacks the mask of spots and the body bands of S. caribbaeus.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/Our%20Fish/prettyred700.jpg

Well their is a lot if tid bits lol. Thanks for the help. I know reefcentral could crack this one