PDA

View Full Version : Help with refugiums

karenm1964
03/25/2012, 09:28 PM
I want to ramp up and maintain the copepods in my tank in preparation of new copepod eating fish. I've heard of many beneficial reasons to add a refugium, this being one of them. I had two thoughts:
1. egg crate to cordon off a small section of my sump
2. buy one of those in tank refugiums but put it in my sump

With either option I would add a light to hang on the side of my sump. #2 sounds good from the standpoint of being able to add and contain some type of substrate, but how will the organisms find their out and into my tank? Do I need a separate power head directed at the refugium or can I simply direct the hose where the water from my tank is entering my sump at the refugium? Lighting suggestions?

Tank specs/equipment: 3.5 years into the hobby, 90 gal tank, 90 lbs live rock, 20 gal sump (kept 1/2 full); skimmer in sump, T-5 lights, UV sterilizer, chiller

Corals: I learned my lesson not too long ago that it is MUCH easier to maintain your tank than it is to fix a problem. Lost lots of coral to algae and am starting over (algae under control finally-have to look hard to see what's there!!!) - leather, acropora (frag), star polyps (frag), misc polyps, frogspawn (frag), watermelon mushrooms, fungia

Critters: sailfin tang, coral beauty, 2 yellow tail damsels, 2 clowns, six-line wrasse, watchman goby, engineer goby, banghai (sp?) cardinal, michael's pistol shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp, koko worms, various hermits and snails