PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Coral Pro

Mental1
03/26/2012, 05:07 AM
So I switched to Red Sea Coral Pro because I was getting alk readings of 6 with TM BioActif. Probably did that 6 to 7 months ago. Now suddenly everything is looking bad, lost several hammers, SPS is looking terrible. Tested Alk and it was 7.5, Calcium was 500. Cleaned and restocked the calcium reactor. I hadn't tested Mag in a while so I tested it -- 2250! I am so sick of salt mixes that have no consistency! I am so frustrated. :headwallblue:

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/26/2012, 05:25 AM
I think that 2250 ppm magnesium is very likely testing error, unless you tested just a small part of a batch that had settled extensively.

What brand kit?

Mental1
03/26/2012, 05:57 AM
Randy -- it is a Salifert test kit. I tested with 3 different kits -- several were older and they had much higher readings -- like 2800. I tested the water like 5 times. The 2250 was from the most recently purchased Salifert kit. My first thought was what have I screwed up and tested again.

I don't have another brand of test kit but will get someone else to test my water. And no -- this was water directly from the system so not a settled batch. Some of these corals I have had a very long time so was not sure why they were suddenly dying. Not a happy child -- and no brown jelly on the hammers.

Mental1
03/26/2012, 06:00 AM
In addition, I have an acro that weathered the BioActif low alk storm and did not change color -- stayed a very deep dark green. It is now going brown. The tank looks terrible.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/26/2012, 06:12 AM
Have you used these magnesium kits to get lower readings in the past?

Doing water changes with a lower magnesium mix is the only way to bring down high magnesium.

doctorgori
03/26/2012, 06:21 AM
I am so sick of salt mixes that have no consistency! I am so frustrated

Wow...sorry to see this...
I often follow these salt brand threads, and there are many... I do so to figure out why people switch brands, have issues with some and claim success with others

I'm not being flippant when I'm trying to figure out the value-add cost/benefit from purchasing additional "stuff" in your salt mix vs. testing-dosing-testing after the fact with additives (like 2part, magnesium, reef fuels, et)

I'm not a shill for Instant Ocean, I'm just trying to figure out whats so magical about the more expensive salt mixes vs. I/O

rtparty
03/26/2012, 10:10 AM
There are quite a few local reefers who are having issues and can't figure out the issues but they all seem to use Red Sea Coral Pro salt as well.

I have never used it and have never seen a reason to. It sounds like a knock off of Reef Crystals with inflated parameters that do me no good. I used Reef Crystals for a year and it was the worse experience in this hobby for me.

I now use ESV B-Ionic salt and love it. I don't even test my make up water anymore because there is nothing to settle and my tests always come out spot on.

ESV's approach makes the most sense to me. Dry mixes can settle and have to mixed up before you use them. ESV separated the parts out and you add them in yourself. It took me less than 20 minutes to do a 10% water change last night and that includes all the clean up and put away.

I too hated the inconsistencies I had with other salt mixes. That is why I switched around. I have never used plain old Instant Ocean and don't plan to. Instant Ocean, the company, had its chance with me with Reef Crystals. If they can't get that right, I don't expect to like their other stuff either. ESV isn't that expensive when you break down that you actually get 200g of water from a 200g mix. With D&D H2Ocean, I got nowhere near the advertised amounts.

Just my thoughts.

Mental1
03/26/2012, 08:18 PM
Randy I have gotten lower readings in the past with the newer kit which is why this was so surprising to me. Maybe it's been 2 months since I tested for mag but the last time it was about 1300 -1400 IIRC. For it to get that high -- I have 400g, the salt mix has had to be way out of whack for quite a while. I have a calcium reactor but do not add mag. And no, I don't test my newly mixed water ... sigh. I stupidly trust.

Doctorgori -- for me there are 2 reasons for paying more for salt. #1 theoretically other than a calcium reactor I don't have to add anything else in #2 Consistent quality. Sigh, once again ... FAIL!

rtparty -- Ryan --I honestly don't know where to go with the whole salt issue. I used TM for years and then suddenly alk was in the basement and when I tested the mixed water I was getting alk of 5. The response from TM -- well everything is great in Europe. SO I went to the DD salt and heard that the Red Sea salt was a less expensive version of the DD - made the same way, same parameters etc. And now another FAIL!

So maybe I will consider ESV ... hmmmm

maynardjames
03/26/2012, 08:38 PM
i found d&d was way overpriced & just like red sea coral pro. have set out on a quest for new mix just got some new microlift reef salt gonna give it a shot

Mental1
03/27/2012, 03:41 AM
I have got to decide something quickly because the only salt I have at home is red sea. So if it is indeed high and it is not a testing snafu, and as Randy says, water changes are the only thing that is going to change it, then I need a new salt asap.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/27/2012, 04:39 AM
I'd select a new salt type, get a batch, and see what the magnesium reads on it. :)

Mental1
03/27/2012, 02:26 PM
I agree. Maybe I will try that ESV salt. Hmmm. And yes. test test test. New test kit too. I have a friend coming over on Thursday to test the water with a different kit. Will be interesting to see what he gets.

klepto
03/27/2012, 05:07 PM
I agree. Maybe I will try that ESV salt. Hmmm. And yes. test test test. New test kit too. I have a friend coming over on Thursday to test the water with a different kit. Will be interesting to see what he gets.

Check out Seachem's Aquavitro "Salinity" salt.
While it does produce quite a bit of precipitate, I have been very happy with the numbers and how stable my tank's parameters have been using this salt. It is affordable and comes in a whopping 225 gallon container. I like the fact that they are printing batch specific parameter labels on each bucket. I know of a couple other successful mixed reef tanks in my area that have been using Salinity for a while now. The good reviews and price point caught my attention.

I used a full bucket of Red Sea's Coral Pro with mixed results. The 12.2dKH alkalinity levels were far too high for my liking. Something more towards the 9-10 dKH range (ie Salinity) is ideal for my situation. I doubt I will go back to Red Sea's salts. I don't have experience with the ESV, but hear lots of positive feedback.

Hudzon
03/27/2012, 08:10 PM
just a quick question for those that are having issues with red sea coral pro, are you mixing the salt every time before adding it to your mix up water. There is quite a bit of separation and if you don't mix it well before adding to your water by the time you get near the bottom you will be way off on parameters

Reef264
03/27/2012, 08:43 PM
It seems like everytime I switch salt brands, To the brand "everyone" loved.A month or so later after I have bought 200 gallons worth, everyone hates it because they are having issues with it.Case and point...This thread.

bertoni
03/27/2012, 09:33 PM
There are a lot of complaints about salt products! Sigh!

MammothReefer
03/28/2012, 01:53 AM
I ran into the same issue, gave up and switched back to IO and everything just works with a little mag buffer. No more designer salts for me.

Mental1
03/29/2012, 05:13 AM
It's really frustrating as I am losing lots of corals that I have had for a very long time. It seems as if the Euphyllias are very sensitive to high mag. I am also losing acros, chalices, and sponges. Many have been in my tank and have thrived. I knew something was wrong but did not suspect the mag.

Hudzon - I don't know how to mix a 200g bag of salt! Not only that but the settling can be a batch issue and not just that particular container so mixing would not make a difference.

I am kind of stuck right now as I can't seem to easily locate ESV. My LFS guy is on it but the shipping is ridiculous. I don't want to do lots of different salts and I need to do a water change now. I have used TM in the past so perhaps one water change with that and buffering the alk will work.

MammothReefer
03/29/2012, 12:30 PM
Just get some IO and do some good size water changes. You may have to buffer the mag but outside of that it just works. No gimmick, no "voodoo sauce" claims, it's cheap and effective.

Thread about my recovery -
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2109831

My Logs talking about the decline and recovery (see nov/11 for RSCP usage)-
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiJkwwBTLCi7dG12ZFhsTXBGTUFZellSWTZ3QkhiLVE

My useless thread on the Red Sea forum

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2091816

kenith
03/29/2012, 02:19 PM
It's really frustrating as I am losing lots of corals that I have had for a very long time. It seems as if the Euphyllias are very sensitive to high mag. I am also losing acros, chalices, and sponges. Many have been in my tank and have thrived. I knew something was wrong but did not suspect the mag.

Hudzon - I don't know how to mix a 200g bag of salt! Not only that but the settling can be a batch issue and not just that particular container so mixing would not make a difference.

I am kind of stuck right now as I can't seem to easily locate ESV. My LFS guy is on it but the shipping is ridiculous. I don't want to do lots of different salts and I need to do a water change now. I have used TM in the past so perhaps one water change with that and buffering the alk will work.

Get it from md. Free shipping over $175

Mental1
03/30/2012, 05:07 AM
Thanks Kenith -- I saw that but did not have that much budgeted right now! Just bought 2 big bags of the res sea salt.

So a reefer buddy came by with his test kit -- it was Red Sea - and he got 1600. He also brought some water to a LFS and they got 1600 too. So my Salifert test kit is not testing accurately. It is still to high but not high enough to explain the coral losses. I am stumped.

troyman
03/30/2012, 05:40 AM
have good luck with reef crystals i thought brightwell salt stunk

Mental1
03/30/2012, 06:36 AM
Mammouth -- all I can say is wow. So I guess I really just need to stop using this salt. I had bad luck with IO so I don't think I will go that way. Need to figure out what to do this weekend though. Have to do a water change!

HurricaneSystem
03/30/2012, 08:29 AM
Mental,

I am usually a big fan of RSCP salt as I have used it for years. I moved away from it and saw a decline in some of my corals. So I switched back to it gradually and saw my corals start to develop some burn. I never had any mixing issues or anything like that, but my nitrate went up just from a water change, strangely.

So getting to the point, I just switched to Reef Crystals, the 160 gallon bucket, and my corals, levels, etc. are pretty much perfect. I think RC gets a bad name sometimes for whatever reason, but I am pretty impressed with the levels and how my system is responding to it. Might want to give it a shot.

bnumair
03/30/2012, 10:44 AM
i agree with OP. i used to use red sea coral pro. they claim on the bucket dkh of 12 but its not. it always ranges from low 6 to 7at high. i lost a tank due to this and i switched to DD-H2ocean. i am very happy with the change. mag was above 1600 as well.

TimeConsumer
03/30/2012, 11:02 AM
Interesting observations. In the past two months I've switched from using just red sea original to a 50/50 mix with original red sea and red sea coral pro and have been happy with the results so far. My water mixes to about 440 cal, 10.5 alk, and 1500 mag. I'll keep a much closer eye on the water now that you mention the problems with consistency.

bnumair
03/30/2012, 11:06 AM
Interesting observations. In the past two months I've switched from using just red sea original to a 50/50 mix with original red sea and red sea coral pro and have been happy with the results so far. My water mixes to about 440 cal, 10.5 alk, and 1500 mag. I'll keep a much closer eye on the water now that you mention the problems with consistency.

i have never had any problems with their cal. its always on target at 420-460 range. but alk swings from 6-12 range and recently been at low 6-7 range. mag is always over 1500. i think u are mixing the two thats why u getting good results.
here is the comparison i found on RC in another forum.

Red Sea Coral Pro 490 7 1300
Marine Environment 480 7.5 1450
Aquatic Gardens 430 8 1240
Red Sea 400 8 1300
Oceanic 580 8.5 1650
Tropic Marin Pro Reef 450 8.5 1380
CoraLife 560 9 1380
Crystal Sea Marinemix 340 9 1050
Crystal Sea Marinemix Bio-Assay 340 9 1050
Tunze Reef Salt 420 9.5 1350
D-D H2Ocean 450 10 1380
OceanPure 510 10 1320
SeaChem Marine Salt 500 10 1400
SeaChem Reef Salt 540 10 1450
Tropic Marin 375 10 1230
Brightwell Neomarine 370 11 1140
Instant Ocean (new) 400 11 1350
Kent 540 11 1200
Reefer's Best 420 11 1200
Reef Crystals (new) 490 13 1440

Mental1
03/30/2012, 11:47 AM
I am just going to get s small box of whatever I can find to do a water change this weekend. Anything has got to be an improvement. It could be another perfect storm too. Last month redid all rodi filters. Last weekend changed out the calcium reactor. Maybe it is a little bit of everything. Really sad at the coral losses. Then I think I will try the ESV B-Ionic. Stupidly, it never occurred to me to roll the buckets around -- a little bit tougher with the bags and probably would have to recruit my husband.

MammothReefer
03/31/2012, 01:42 AM
Those numbers aren't accurate anymore. Red Sea changed there values, and instant ocean doesn't get 1350 mag.. it's more like 1250.

This is what RS "should" mix to now

http://www.redseafish.com/Banners/145.gif

As far as a previous post about RC having a bad rep. Years ago they had some bad batches of RC, and they changed the formula around a fair bit. IO seems to be more in line with what most people want (well even 11dkh is high in my books 9-10 is what I'm looking for).

The best salt I've found is hW, but for the amount of water changes I do I found it was getting a bit pricey, however it's not to bad compared to D+D, or Tunze cost wise.

IO seems to just work for me and you can find it for less then 40$ for 200 gallons. The only downside is having to buffer you mag (cause it's not giving me 1350!), and I can't do to large of a water change or my alk jumps. The other day I tried to change 30 gallons on my system and saw a .8dkh a jump which is to much for my liking so I need to just stick to smaller water changes until I add the new frag tank on and double my water volume.

Mental1
03/31/2012, 05:06 AM
I will probably get IO just to do some short term water changes. But I had bad luck with it before. I will try ESV as the last designer salt. If it doesn't work and give me stability, then I will go to IO or something cheaper and buffer it.

MammothReefer
03/31/2012, 11:00 AM
I will probably get IO just to do some short term water changes. But I had bad luck with it before. I will try ESV as the last designer salt. If it doesn't work and give me stability, then I will go to IO or something cheaper and buffer it.

D+D works nice to, I only used a single bucket of it however no complaints. Tunze salt is the same salt as hW just costs a little more (from what I understand).

kissman
03/31/2012, 11:35 AM
I have been using red sea coral pro for years and have had no problems with mag! I love the salt! Tried Reef Crystals, coralife, sea cheam, and once i tried red sea coral pro never switched again!

JAustin
03/31/2012, 01:03 PM
I use red sea salt, not the pro. My salt mixes up to 400 cal 1270 mg and 7.5 dkh. I do roll the buckett around for 10 min or so. It's a good work out!

Sorry to here your bad experiences. I hope you can get things back to norm.

Mental1
03/31/2012, 01:56 PM
I think I just have to start testing all of my water before changing it. Everything looks better today and I have done nothing. Go figure. Hmmm.

Mental1
04/01/2012, 04:05 AM
I was curious about my parameters as everything was looking better and here's what I got. Salinity is 1.025, Calcium is 550 (Elos), Alk is 11 (Elos)and mag is 1600. So I think everything was just too high as all of these probably came down a bit. I have decided to do 50-50 with the RSCP and IO. I have also dialed the reactor back.

tahiriqbal
04/01/2012, 05:04 AM
Just ran a small test on RSCP (which I got 2 full buckets left) and mag came to around 1600 & Ca 520, bit too high for my liking (:. I am in the process of setting up 60g cube and may dump the RSCP and try something else!! IMO, I would spread the water change with25% ratio over next few days.

Tahir

Mental1
04/01/2012, 09:50 AM
Hi Tahir -- I have got 400g total water volume and am changing about 30g -- so won't have a huge impact.

Sport507
04/01/2012, 10:27 AM
Metal1,

So sorry to hear about your issues and hope you can get things back on track. This is the second thread today I have read with Red Sea salt issues. I use IO RC and do not intend to change. It works for me so I'm not going to fix it.

Mental1
04/01/2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks sport. I guess I get to design a new tank.

Just don't get lazy and assume you are okay. Make sure to measure your make up water. Every salt settles and can destroy your tank if you are not attentive.

Haksar
04/01/2012, 12:46 PM
I had issues with RSCP alk burn and RTNs.Lost a few acros as well.
Although I was mixing at 1.023 to counter the ALK on a 136 gallon tank while doing WC of 10-15% my issue was manily Mag and Cal with low readings.Now I mix 75-25% RSCP and seachem,things are slowly falling back in place.I use a cal reactor but dont add any trace elements.

Mental1
04/01/2012, 02:25 PM
Okay -- just tested my mixing barrel. The IO has been mixing since last night with a pump and air, no heater. I have a brute barrel and am guessing about 30g. I added RSCP today and brought salinity up to 1.025. Just tested calcium and it was 500 and and alk was 11.5. So many corals in my tank have just been burned. I can't imagine what it was at full strength RSCP. I am a very unhappy person. I don't have a new mag kit so don't know where that is. Really frustrated. I thought cutting it 50-50 with IO would have had a different result. I just underestimated how far off it was...

Tokyoyankee
04/02/2012, 03:33 AM
Having problems with the red sea pro salt as well. Alk is at 250pp, calcium 430ppm and 1.024 SG. Really high alk. Goin test again tonight.

Mental1
04/02/2012, 04:33 AM
Well, I have a separate tank that I breed feeder fish in so I did a big water change on that tank using the newly mixed water, added more ro water into the barrel, and got salinity back up using IO. I just tested alk and it was down to 10 so hopefully the ca was down as well. I think I will make up another batch and do an extra water change. This time it will be 75% IO and 25% RSCP.

MammothReefer
04/02/2012, 03:03 PM
Remember ELOS alk kits read low when compared to Salifert & Hanna (about 2dkh)

This is fine though if you only use ELOS.

Mental1
04/02/2012, 03:11 PM
Remember ELOS alk kits read low when compared to Salifert & Hanna (about 2dkh)

This is fine though if you only use ELOS.

I thought they were accurate? I did not know that about Elos tests kits. I got really mad at them a few years back when they did not change the written out instructions but changed the formula -- I thought everything was fine at a 9.5 10 -- it was half that. Quality control seems to be missing in a lot of saltwater aquarium products. So what is the accurate reading then? You know, it's amazing we keep anything alive.

bertoni
04/02/2012, 08:33 PM
The numbers for the Red Sea products don't list the SG... Here's a link to a page that shows the results along with the SG:

http://www.redseafish.com/uploadimages/Salt%20brochure%202010%20Eng.pdf

If you're targeting 1.0264 SG, the numbers are different.

Mental1
04/03/2012, 01:03 AM
The numbers for the Red Sea products don't list the SG... Here's a link to a page that shows the results along with the SG:

http://www.redseafish.com/uploadimages/Salt%20brochure%202010%20Eng.pdf

If you're targeting 1.0264 SG, the numbers are different.

I am not sure I understand -- I am under the impression that 1.0264 is the same as 35 ppt. Can you say more?

bertoni
04/03/2012, 08:43 PM
Yes, 35 ppt 1.0264 are the same at a reference temperature of 25 C, but I need remedial communications classes. The numbers given in this thread are different from the numbers in the link that I posted. Sigh!

Mental1
05/07/2012, 05:33 AM
I thought it is only fair to Red Sea to come back to this thread and explain what I believe happened in my tanks. I did a fresh water dip on a Copperband butterfly a week ago and tested the pH of my RO water as part of that process. It was 8.3 -- I was shocked. I believe what happened is that something affected my well water causing it to become very alkaline, then with the heightened parameters of the Red Sea salt, I believe that my pH in my tank could have been as high as 8.8. I do have a pH monitor on the tank, I did see it high, I had just calibrated it, but I thought it had gone screwy for some reason and stupidly, did not investigate it. So I believe the cause of the SPS and euphyllia deaths in my tanks is due to the extremely high pH. So everyone is recovering, I tested my ro well water and it is back down to normal at 7.5. Still do not know what caused this but I will keep an eye on it from now on. Oh -- I am going to switch salts anyway -- going to ESV...

kissman
05/07/2012, 05:47 AM
8.3 is not high. I am using red sea i havent seen any problems with my ph

bertoni
05/07/2012, 10:12 AM
The pH of RO/DI water doesn't mean much, since the salt will set the pH. RO water also is hard to measure for pH. Our hobbyist meters and kits don't work with purified water due to the low ionic content. What is the TDS of the RO water?

Mental1
05/07/2012, 03:18 PM
The TDS is zero. My ro water usually measures about 7.5 -- so from a relative standpoint it is high. How does the salt set the pH? I am not sur ehow that works -- there's a ceiling to how high the pH will go?

rogerwilco357
05/07/2012, 03:49 PM
I posted other issues last week on Red Sea Pro my alk was 14dkh and wacked my ph now trying to get it back in order with the salt i have been using for years Reef Crystals my red dragon suffered darn it and my millepora I think if ever I try other salts it will be a salt that I can mix on the spot to get away from the inconsistencies of pre mixed salts. may cost more for piece of mind

bertoni
05/07/2012, 10:01 PM
The pH of saltwater is determined by the buffering system and by the amount of carbon dioxide in the water. RO at zero TDS has no buffering, so it doesn't participate in the pH. Some salt products mix up to an initial high pH, because they have high-pH components, most likely sodium carbonate, but there could be others. I'm not a chemist. After some aeration, the carbon dioxide level will come into equilibrium with the air, and the pH will be in a fairly small range, comparatively speaking.

It's unlikely that the pH is actually 7.5. Pure water would be right around 7.0, but carbon dioxide will lower that. Our measuring equipment makes some assumptions about the water that it's measuring, and one of those assumptions is that there's at least some buffering capacity or ionic content to the water. RO doesn't qualify. Measuring the pH of purified water takes some special equipment.

Mental1
05/08/2012, 06:45 AM
So it seems then, that it is impossible to match pH when doing fw dips? Huh? It's been touted forever to match the pH but from what you are saying that's not possible to do???

I also don't believe that, even if I am not getting an accurate reading, the relative difference in pH is real, and that that is going to have an impact on the pH of the mixed water. Struggling here...I am not a chemist either... Randy where are you?

Mikez1207
05/08/2012, 07:22 AM
Heys guys...wow this red sea pro salt sure is been talked about alot. Ok here it goes.....i to have red sea pro bought cuz I heard how great it was and all that big talk. Well wen I got it I quickly made my first batch...and guess wat my levels my alk was high (13 dkh) everything else was spot on...i read and read some more, seemed everyone was having same problem. I used water anyways...long story short, my tank is doing great alk is at 10 cal at 420 mag at 1350 my xorals are loving it!! My point is yes it might test high in ur new bucket of water but wen it gets to your dt its wen it matters...if it effects your tank so much you might b making to big of a water change

cfredallen
05/08/2012, 07:54 AM
I have never tested it immediately after mixing but I have a batch I mixed 2 days ago that has been circulating in prep for a water change. I just tested and KH is at 10. I have actually found parameters to read low compared to what it claims. Salinity is 1.025 with refractometer and according to the label KH should be 12.2. Cal always reads a little low for me as well should be 450 but always reads around 400-420 on a fresh batch.

Have had no issues with it as far as livestock is concerned. Both of my tanks are doing great with it and I don't do any other additives other than 2 part B-Ionic. Both tanks are mixed reefs and lps and sps all doing great. My chalices, acans and duncans grow like crazy. Can'c comment on SPS growth yet as I just started adding some and has only been a month though the Turquoise Staghorn does seem to have some growth in that time also.

Mikez1207
05/08/2012, 08:12 AM
I have never tested it immediately after mixing but I have a batch I mixed 2 days ago that has been circulating in prep for a water change. I just tested and KH is at 10. I have actually found parameters to read low compared to what it claims. Salinity is 1.025 with refractometer and according to the label KH should be 12.2. Cal always reads a little low for me as well should be 450 but always reads around 400-420 on a fresh batch.

Have had no issues with it as far as livestock is concerned. Both of my tanks are doing great with it and I don't do any other additives other than 2 part B-Ionic. Both tanks are mixed reefs and lps and sps all doing great. My chalices, acans and duncans grow like crazy. Can'c comment on SPS growth yet as I just started adding some and has only been a month though the Turquoise Staghorn does seem to have some growth in that time also.

My montipora is loving it man its got about mmm 1/4 inch growth already since started...dont seem like much but to me thats great...and my coraline is finally coming in...other then a small bump on road I like it andimmakeep using it for a while

bertoni
05/08/2012, 10:17 PM
For freshwater dips, you can set the pH of RO/DI water by adding a bit of buffer, like baking soda. I'm not sure that setting the pH accomplishes anything, but once you add some baking soda, it'll have enough ionic content for a pH meter to work, and it'll have enough buffer to have a meaningful pH.

ange062
05/08/2012, 10:34 PM
I've been using coral pro for many months with no complaints. Any switch can be tough on corals though, especially if anything changes quickly (such add alk or Mg) on the initial change. I'll continue to use it, tank is looking great and all my dosing parameters are dialed in after about a month of frequent testing.

yachtdr22
05/09/2012, 07:06 PM
I started to do some research when my 2nd bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro made alot of "fines" and didnt clean up after 24hrs of mixing?
I just tested the 30gal batch :

SG; 1.025 (Refract.)
pH; 8.01 (Digital)
KH; 10.9 (Red Sea Test)
Ca; 400 (Red Sea Test)
MG; 1440 (Red Sea Test)

Not too bad for my system, but off of their mark and indication of POOR QC.
Very disappointing for a "Premium Salt"

But the mix looks like a foggy day :sad1:

kissman
05/09/2012, 07:31 PM
Have you mixed up the bucket? I will be making a 20g batch this weekend i will post my results of new bucket

yachtdr22
05/09/2012, 08:37 PM
i just made 30 gal out of a 160 gal bucket..

Oh, i dont really think there is much separation with the salt packed tightly in the plastic bag.... IMHO

kissman
05/09/2012, 09:07 PM
They do settle and the bucket should be mixed. I roll it on the floor for few minutes and them roll it to where i make the water. I have had zero problems with red sea been using for 3 years. I doubt there is a salt out there reads exactly what they say every time

RNX CTD
05/10/2012, 08:47 AM
I have to agree red sea is very packed in the bag and bucket, I doubt that rolling it around would help unless someone took some out, what I do is pour it out of the bag into a IO bucket with a o ring then it has room so I can roll it around.

cfredallen
05/10/2012, 12:50 PM
well if it is an issue with some parts settling out I would think that there would be a large difference between the top and bottom of the bucket but I have seen my tests come up consistently low through the entire bucket. I love the salt and don't plan on changing but the readings do seem to be lower than advertised.

yachtdr22
05/10/2012, 04:03 PM
what is the best method to get rid of the white coating of dust or "Fines" that have now accumulated on the bottom of my BB tank??? It was easy to get them out of the mixing tub after the mixed water sat stagnant for 24 hrs because it just rinsed out of the bucket.. I have sump with bioballs that look like they have seen a Christmas snow!

any ideas???

89Foxbody
05/10/2012, 07:09 PM
Always used Reef Crystals, and will continue to do so. I think people get caught up in the designer salts a lot, its basically snake oil.

kissman
05/10/2012, 07:24 PM
I think it all comes down to finding a salt that fits your tank. I started with Instant Ocean when i went to reef i tried coralife then reef crystals, i then tried seachem reef and then red sea when i started using seachem i realized how horrible coralife and reef crystals was for my tank. My corals opened so much better and had such better growth. Seachem calcium was to high for my tank so i tried red sea coral and i love it for my tank and will probably never change. I have thought about tryimg tropic marin

agruetz
05/10/2012, 07:38 PM
Always used Reef Crystals, and will continue to do so. I think people get caught up in the designer salts a lot, its basically snake oil.

Thats not a 100% true. I was having a horrible phosphate issue even water changes were not fixing it. Come to find out that it was the salt bucket I had. soon as I mixed up the salt the water would immediately have .08ppm of phosphates. I am not using Seachem's Salinity and it is awesome. No phosphates no algae issue and it mixes 100% clear and is ready for immediate use. Plus I like the lab analysis on the side it mixed exactly at the values on the side.

Mental1
05/11/2012, 06:04 AM
For freshwater dips, you can set the pH of RO/DI water by adding a bit of buffer, like baking soda. I'm not sure that setting the pH accomplishes anything, but once you add some baking soda, it'll have enough ionic content for a pH meter to work, and it'll have enough buffer to have a meaningful pH.

The first time I did not buffer the water as it measured 8.3 which matched the tank water. The second time it was 7.5 so I did buffer it. I am still not sure of the impact of having rodi water with high pH as top off water or as the base for mixed salt. Especially given that the Red Sea published parameters are on the high side imho.

Mental1
05/13/2012, 05:19 PM
Okay -- so it seems after Randy saying it in a lot more words the same thing that you did bertoni -- that the salt is in fact the problem. Well I have changed salt mixes again. I bought a box of instant ocean to use until I decided what to use. Then I decided on the ESV and I just did my first water change with it. We'll see what happens. But after eliminating all other potential causes I am back at the source of my problems including many coral deaths is the Red Sea Salt.

kissman
05/13/2012, 06:17 PM
I tested my salt again this afternoon before doing my water change and the same mix that read 14 dkh was read 12 dkh today, crazy

bertoni
05/13/2012, 07:29 PM
I would mix the dry salt as best I could. It might have settled some in shipment.

Mental1
06/04/2012, 05:24 AM
So I have now switched to the ESV salt and have done about 5 water changes over the last few weeks so close to 200g or half of my water volume. Everything is looking a LOT better. My SPS are coming back, my LPS are looking good. Whatever it was, the change in salt has made a big difference. Fingers crossed.

Ralph ATL
06/04/2012, 10:51 PM
Check out Seachem's Aquavitro "Salinity" salt.
While it does produce quite a bit of precipitate, I have been very happy with the numbers and how stable my tank's parameters have been using this salt. It is affordable and comes in a whopping 225 gallon container. I like the fact that they are printing batch specific parameter labels on each bucket. I know of a couple other successful mixed reef tanks in my area that have been using Salinity for a while now. The good reviews and price point caught my attention.

I used a full bucket of Red Sea's Coral Pro with mixed results. The 12.2dKH alkalinity levels were far too high for my liking. Something more towards the 9-10 dKH range (ie Salinity) is ideal for my situation. I doubt I will go back to Red Sea's salts. I don't have experience with the ESV, but hear lots of positive feedback.

I couldn't agree more! All parems including mag are spot on, and I only have to dose calcium and Alk as makeup....easy...

Mental1
07/10/2012, 03:10 PM
Just an update. I have almost gone through 400 gallons of the ESV B-Ionic salt and I could not be happier. I also treated my whole system with prozipro which really put a hurting on some of my corals. I almost lost a few. Anyway, several water changes and lots of carbon later, my tanks are looking healthier than I have seen them in a very long time. This is the best salt I have ever used. I absolutely love it.

SteadyReefin
07/10/2012, 03:16 PM
I have used the Red Sea Pro Salt for 2 years now and I have had amazing results. My corals were growing out of control. The DKH seems to die down a bit so the initial spike did not seem to bother the inhabitants. That is just my own personal experience. I actually met the guy from Israel who formulates it and he takes his job very seriously and the minerals are pulled from an area in the red sea that does not damage the environment.