PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia Help Please

JustinGr
03/26/2012, 09:53 AM
I have seen a lot of suggestions on control, but I need some advice.

I have introduced these critters on a piece of coral I purchased (I assume). I have one growing out of the sand bed that I discovered this morning. I also have a small one growing out of a pin hole on the base of a Hammer Coral base. If I pull the hammer out, the aiptasia retracts into the hole and I can't get it.

The one on the sand bed will be removed with a turkey baster, I'll suck it up. But I have a feeling these are like roaches, you see one, you have many more hiding.

I want to know what is the fastest method to heading this off now, and not a control method for long term care. I will get some shrimp that I read about, or a Nudi, but I am hoping that there is a solid plan for a "nuke" strategy and that the shrimp or nudi will be a long term insurance policy.

Thoughts? I would like to avoid fish outside of the shrimp or Nudi's.

Thanks

Justin

swanny
03/26/2012, 11:03 AM
Peppermint shrimp can be hit or miss but I think you are on the right track. You can also boil water and use a syringe to kill them, I've used that method before with very good success.

bamf25
03/26/2012, 11:12 AM
I have successfully used two basically home cures.

1. Lemon juice
2. Kalk paste

Gyr
03/26/2012, 11:21 AM
My best success with peppermint shrimp was to get several (4) and turn the flow down at night. I have an SPS tank with pretty high flow, and that seemed to keep the shrimp at bay. The Aiptasia that were tucked in the rock work in lower flow areas were quickly eaten, those out in the high flow areas were not. Putting my vortechs into low flow mode at night when the shrimp were more active did the trick.
Good luck.

Reeferz412
03/26/2012, 12:25 PM
I used Aiptasia x from red sea I believe, It worked but they came back. I used two peppermint shrimps in my 20, there was no aiptasia anywhere. ANYWHERE. My snails had it on their shells and they were gone. You probably won't see them do work unless you watch at night though. But they are ninja assassins of aiptasia :uzi:

brandon429
03/26/2012, 03:19 PM
I find them easy to kill, blue jet windproof lighter. Use tin foil to prevent collateral burning

If that hammer was mine id lift it out, shoot fire in hole, done

I have burned: aips, palys, zos, algae of every kind and mushroom corals. It is harmless and clean

Po Pimp Daddie
03/26/2012, 03:31 PM
Aptasia x is good, but by the time u have got it into the mouth of it, it has already released it's gametes I to the water and many more will pop up. Pepermint shrimp for me have been try best method of keeping them in check. Good luck.

tmz
03/26/2012, 03:55 PM
I use kalk paste for the now occasional aiptasia or two that that pop(s)up. Don't know a way to kill them all at once in the tank. . Lystmata wundermanni, peppermints work to a large extent but they can get nasty with some corals (acanastrea and zonthus for example) too.

bertoni
03/26/2012, 06:14 PM
Aiptasia have a free-swimming stage, I think, and can spread quite rapidly, in any case. Getting rid of all them can be difficult to impossible. Injecting them with various solutions can kill them, and lime paste works, too, especially for patches. I would try vinegar, a kalk solution, or boiling water for the first pass at injecting them. I did a lot of testing on how to kill Aiptasia (sigh), and lots of approaches work.

JustinGr
03/26/2012, 08:13 PM
I just put Aiptasia X on three ( found a new one) and they all took to the needle but not sure if they are gone.

I am worried about the shrimp. I am told it is hard to find a true peppermint. What about nudi's? Any thoughts?

Thanks

robertifly
03/26/2012, 09:39 PM
Aiptasia eating Filefish, done.

maynardjames
03/26/2012, 09:48 PM
must have a outbreak to get nudi. it would starve very soon if you only have a few

bertoni
03/26/2012, 10:01 PM
The nudibranchs can work, IME, but they also leave a few juvenile Aiptasia around after they starve to death, IME.

jluspo
03/26/2012, 11:14 PM
I use 100% pure household Lye - like the ones used to open drains. I squirt the little bastards and they shrivel and die. The best part is it's cheap. For about $4.00, I have a lifetime supply.

By the way, it's also good for opening clogged drains.

cutegecko3
03/27/2012, 02:37 AM
Aiptasia have a free-swimming stage, I think, and can spread quite rapidly, in any case. Getting rid of all them can be difficult to impossible. Injecting them with various solutions can kill them, and lime paste works, too, especially for patches. I would try vinegar, a kalk solution, or boiling water for the first pass at injecting them. I did a lot of testing on how to kill Aiptasia (sigh), and lots of approaches work.

Correct.

"In the case of the well-studied Aiptasia pallida and Aiptasia pulchella, individuals are dioecious, meaning that individuals are of separate sexes. During spawning, anemones release their gametes into the water where fertilization occurs. The resulting zygote becomes a free swimming planula larva which eventually settles onto a suitable substrate and undergoes metamorphosis to become a small polyp. Newly produced larvae are aposymbiotic meaning they do not contain symbionts. The larvae or newly settled polyps acquire symbiotic algae from the environment."

http://www.saltyunderground.com/pages.php?pID=11