PDA

View Full Version : Alright, Tell me more about Vodka.

Reef264
03/27/2012, 11:34 AM
Hey there, Hi There, Ho there :wave:

Alright guys, I am thinking of dosing vodka.The main reason is I am having some algae issues.Idont understand why though, my Tank has 3 Small fish, and 1 Eel, So my Bio-Load isn't big at all.I do a Ten Gallon Water change once a week, which is around 10% of my tanks volume.I have never fed Heavily, I always rinsed my Frozen Food.I have a Refugium with a lot of different Macros.I have 2 Skimmers.

And I still have Algae problems.Like...A little Green Hair Algae(baraly any), and this Wierd thick Dark Green Algae that grows like a carpet on my rocks and it even started growing on my Sand bed like Cyano, I also have some brown algae.I am about to start dosing vodka now, and I saw on Melevsreef how he dosed his.Will his dosing schedule work for me?Do I need something different?Do I need to dose Vodka?Are there any Ill affects on SPS?Any certain brand of Vodka?

Cheers,

-Ray

ivans75
03/27/2012, 12:24 PM
How old is your tank?

ivans75
03/27/2012, 12:26 PM
about vodka, brand is not important. U can make your own too if you can hehehe.

Allmost
03/27/2012, 12:34 PM
brand : anything with no flavour additives.

dosage : go slow. monitor n and p. too much P removal too fast, can stress SPS.

as N and P lower, aim for KH about 7-8 Dkh.

when your algae in fuge starts to die off, its working. be sure to remove the dead algae.

if you notice a brownish film on surfaces, with air bubbles during light period, you are overdosing vodka.

lastly read this : Vodka dosing. (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php)
HTH,

Reef264
03/27/2012, 01:07 PM
How old is your tank?

The tank is 1 year old.

Allmost,

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

jimsplace
03/28/2012, 11:39 AM
What kind of flow do you have?

DHyslop
03/28/2012, 02:37 PM
You might also consider dosing vinegar instead. Same ultimate effect, but some people experience more side effects like cyano sith vodka.

I've found on my tanks that every working carbon source will cause cyano initially until nutrient levels get pretty low. Then again a lot of these tanks weren't healthy to begin with, sometimes with phosphate levels above 0.50 and/or nitrates above 50 mg/l.

Reef264
03/28/2012, 03:54 PM
What kind of flow do you have?

2, Koralia 1400's.

I am going to try Vodka and see how it goes.I am dosing 1ml per day to start out.

troyman
03/28/2012, 04:56 PM
vodka has more carbon then vinagar

A Reef Scene
03/28/2012, 05:55 PM
What kind of vinager?

Aquarist007
03/28/2012, 07:45 PM
[Carbon Dosing
Vodka Dosing.

Why dose Organic Carbon?
The main purpose to dose organic carbon is the reduction of excess nutrients in the reef aquaria. The two main nutrients reduced from organic carbon addition are nitrate and phosphate molecules (NO3 and PO4 respectfully). The reduction of phosphates, in turn, allows for enhanced calcification and growth of corals. Additionally, lower NO3 and PO4 have the added benefit of reduced nuisance algae, both bubble and hair. This observation has been reported numerous times by vodka users. The reduction in algae is the result of lower NO3 and PO4 within the water column and not a direct effect of ethanol addition. These potential benefits have lead some to add foreign organic carbon sources not usually found in the reef ecosystem to their tank. The organic compound most frequently used is ethanol (sold in stores as vodka).

Dosing Instructions
These instructions will focus solely on using 80 proof vodka (40% ethanol by volume). They do not pertain to other organic carbon sources that are also currently used, including common table sugar (sucrose) and vinegar (sodium acetate). The dosing instructions below were as dictated by Jörg Kokott and have been used successfully by us.

Test your system’s NO3 and PO4 levels. Do not dose if you do not know this! We recommend good test kits that have some low level of sensitivity. This will be important later on to determining a maintenance dose regimen. During the initial dosing test often and adjust dosing parameters as needed as each tank’s requirement will be different. Dosing accuracy is of the utmost importance. A graduated measurement tool such as a syringe will come in handy. A journal of additions and test kit measurements is recommended.

Estimate your Net Water Volume (NWV) of your system. (Aquarium volume + sump + refugium + reactor volumes) – (live rock displacement). It can be difficult to accurately measure the amount of water being displaced by the live rock. If unsure of the volume of live rock we suggest taking 30% off your display tank’s Gross Water Volume. For vodka dosing there is absolutely no harm in underestimating the Net Water Volume and is recommended.

As an example, let us assume that your setup contains 100 Net Gallons.

The starting dosage is 0.1ml of vodka per 25 gallons (~100 liters) NWV daily continued for three days. For 100 Net Gallons, your dosage would be 0.4ml daily during this period. It has been suggested to cut the daily dosage in half and dose twice daily for more consistency.

Days 4-7, double the daily dosage to 0.2ml of vodka per 25 gallons NWV. Your example dosage would be 0.8ml daily during this period.

Each subsequent week add an additional 0.5ml of vodka regardless of aquaria volume. At this point your example dosage during week two would be 1.3ml daily. If you do not see nutrient levels decrease during this week, the following week add an additional 0.5ml for a daily dosage of 1.8ml daily.

When your NO3 and PO4 levels start to drop maintain the current dose. For example, if you were on week two when NO3 start to fall on 100 Net Water Volume you would add 1.3mL daily at this time for the continuing weeks until the NO3 becomes undetectable.

When your NO3 and PO4 levels drop near undetectable with your test kits cut your current dose in half. This will be your starting maintenance dose (if the levels drop during week 2 then the dose after reaching undetectable levels would be 0.65ml daily [1.3ml divide by 2]).

Continue to test for NO3 and PO4. If levels become detectable in the future increase your daily dose by 0.1ml increments per week until the levels start to decrease. If you maintain that dose the levels will eventually drop back to undetectable. This would become your new maintenance dose.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

Reef264
03/28/2012, 08:12 PM
Capn hylinur,

You have made this very, Very clear for me!Thank you so much!I really appreciate it!