PDA

View Full Version : Removable panels on Stand?

Patrick Bateman
03/27/2012, 12:37 PM
How's it going everyone?

I just was wondering if any of you have any experience in adding removable panels to a simple DIY Stand?

I am planning building a simple box frame, just like this one below for a 20 long.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8718/ch2is20l01.jpg

Now how would I attach panels to the front and sides that I can remove for easy access to the sump area?

I was thinking magnets, but there is a possibility that I will end up using a mag drive pump. Any chance that the panel magnets would interfere with its operation? Also how would I make a hole to fit the magnets so they are flush with the wood?

I'm open to any other ideas/suggestions, pics or thread links would be great!

der_wille_zur_macht
03/27/2012, 12:44 PM
Magnets will work fine. They will not interfere with a pump.

Most appropriate magnets will be flat disks. You can bore a suitable flat-bottomed hole with a forstner bit.

Patrick Bateman
03/27/2012, 12:55 PM
Nice, that's exactly what I was looking for, I just didn't know what it was called haha.

Should I leave the front as one single panel, or try and divide it into two separate removable pieces?

Also, Should I do 4 magnets for each panel, one in each corner?

davocean
03/27/2012, 01:01 PM
Depends on the weight.
I'm doing something for a reefer that will have guide dowels on the doors that will actually support the door weight, as well as line up perfectly level, w/ magnets that lock it into place.
Another option is to do a 3 sided pullout face, I do this myself on most of my builds in the form of a face frame, but it could be done in ply.

Patrick Bateman
03/27/2012, 01:05 PM
So you will essentially have a little ledge sticking out by ~1/4" from the front of the stand that will hold the weight of the panel, and then have a few magnets to lock it into place? (I'm picturing 2 magnets in the top corners, and none in the bottom corners)

This sounds like a great idea, any pics of the one you are building?

davocean
03/27/2012, 01:21 PM
Mine would have pegs/dowels, but you could do a ledge like that too, or what we call french cleats, basically two strips cut at a 45 that oppose each other.
There's lots of ways.
This is how I do my skins, the whole face frame pulls out, and stands on it's own.
You could do similar w/ ply.
They also make hinges that clip on and off, just another option on the doors.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/mermail/octocab043.jpg

lchaleff
03/27/2012, 01:29 PM
create a picture fram type of panel (like an overlay cabinet door with part of the panel sitting inside the framed opening itself), dont go overboard with magnets, one in the top middle is more than enough.

Patrick Bateman
03/27/2012, 01:34 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/mermail/octocab043.jpg

oh my god, your stand is amazing. The carved canopy is unique and awesome. You obviously have some experience!

and lchaleff, I think you are right. I plan on using light wood for the panels, so one centered magnet should suffice

davocean
03/27/2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks, I find it depends on the magnet size and weight of the door, sometimes they will slide or not hang straight, reason why I'm adding guide dowels to hold in place and guide it level/straight, magnets just hold it flush to the frame.
A small cleat could do the same.

fishymann
03/29/2012, 10:56 PM
I just did this with my 55 gallon stand and used 2 double door magnets. Find them in the hardware isle of your home depot style store. Basically two magnets in one. Works great.

birdsandsoap
03/30/2012, 12:49 AM
I have a bowfront stand I just finished and will be making inset door panels that are removable. I attached cleats to the back of the frame openings and will be setting rare earth magnets into the cleats. I purchased 50 on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/270838429352?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3096wt_1394), they are less than 1/2" in diameter, 1 mm thick. I thought I would use one on each corner of the doors, but we'll see. It may be too strong in the end. The panels on the side of the stand are removeable too, I am going to mount my electrical junk on the sides. The magnets are taking forever, since I have to wait for them to come over the ocean. :)