PDA

View Full Version : Used mag7

nanito
03/27/2012, 06:02 PM
I just bought a used mag7 for 15 bucks, I tought it was a good idea to have one in case of an emergency. The thing is that it does not have the suction cups on the bottom, and that brings my question...... What can I put on the bottom of the pump to kill the noise and vibrations??

gpx1200
03/27/2012, 06:14 PM
i hate to tell you this but the mag7 is a very noisy pump no mater what, if you look at all the mag drive pump specs togeather you can see that the mag7 pump has the most power in that size casing, their are several lower powerd pumps with that same size casing and i think they over did it with the mag7, it has to much power or to big an impeller for that size casing so it viberates like crazy. that said i still think you got a good deal, for 15$ i'd buy another one in a second.
i wrap mine in corse cut it your self style filter pad, it helps a little

reefergeorge
03/27/2012, 06:18 PM
A few globs of silicone. I have also used neoprene under a pump before with success.

RotaryGeek
03/27/2012, 07:03 PM
Get some styrofoam and put it under the pump. The wait of the pump will hold it down.

BigCountry74
03/27/2012, 07:45 PM
i hate to tell you this but the mag7 is a very noisy pump no mater what, if you look at all the mag drive pump specs togeather you can see that the mag7 pump has the most power in that size casing, their are several lower powerd pumps with that same size casing and i think they over did it with the mag7, it has to much power or to big an impeller for that size casing so it viberates like crazy. that said i still think you got a good deal, for 15$ i'd buy another one in a second.
i wrap mine in corse cut it your self style filter pad, it helps a little

x2

my mag 3 = dead quiet
my mag 7 = somewhat loud

nanito
03/28/2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks, I know they are loud, I have an eheim 1260 right now but for 15 bucks I had to get it and it will be sitting in my garage waiting for the eheim to die, it is just a back up pump. I know they are loud and run a little warm.

BigCountry74
03/28/2012, 10:25 AM
I would have bought it for 15 dollars also. That's a steal :D