PDA

View Full Version : One month old tank, dead rock coming alive! (No questions, just happy)

timekiller
03/27/2012, 06:46 PM
Took a few pictures of the top of the rock. This is BRS "Reef Saver" rock for those curious. It's a month in the tank and it's starting to lose it's bleach white color. On top of that it's just littered with purple spots that I am convinced it corraline algae taking root.

If anyone is interested I started with 25 lbs of live rock from the LFS and ~60 lbs of BRS Reef Saver. For the first 3 weeks I left half the live rock in the main tank with the dead rock. The rest went in the sump.

I also bought 1 lb of live rock that was absolutely covered in corraline algae. before putting this piece in, I turned off the powerheads and scraped a few chunks of corraline into the main tank. I let it sit for about 20 minutes before turning the powerheads back on.

A week ago I moved the remaining live rock to the sump, so all that remains in the main tank is the BRS Reef Saver.

That's it, I'm just really excited to see the rock coming alive!

Shoryureppa
03/27/2012, 07:48 PM
love the lagoon rock work! do you think the rock is a little close to the back? may limit water flow?

hanas
03/27/2012, 08:07 PM
Looks good but I would suggest the same thing as Shoryureppa, you may want to move it out from the back a little bit.

timekiller
03/27/2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the input. The pictures actually make it look tighter than it really is. There is enough room for fish to swim comfortably, plus I have a powerhead pointed right at the back area which should keep a nice flow going.

bnumair
03/27/2012, 09:43 PM
i have the same setup and i left 6-8 inch away from the back for flow.
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h353/bnumair/DSC_0064-1.jpg

bnumair
03/27/2012, 09:44 PM
but its looking good, just read ur comment that there is enough room in back thats good.