PDA

View Full Version : Just joined w/ a 300g tank planed

Zshark
03/28/2012, 12:52 AM
Hey guys excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong section first time posting here :) Im in the process of acquiring a 300g tank by next Thursday. Before I get started on stocking the tank ect I'd like to give you some background info I have a 10g sps tank with 30lbs of live rock, 2 snails, 1 emerald crab, and 1 percula clownfish who is getting moved though to my 50g which leads me to my fish only 50g with 3 damsels so far and 60lbs of live rock. The 10g has been running for 1.5yr and the 50g for 4yrs. Hope that's not to nooby :)

Anyway since this is my biggest tank I'll be doing for saltwater I have some questions from filteration to stocking. First off I have a box of instant ocean for 300g but it's been sitting outside (covered pretty well though) for about a year or two max is it safe to use still? No problem if it's not I can get a new box just wondering so it won't be wasted. Now for the stocking. My ideal list would be 3 blue tangs, 3 yellow tangs, 1 blonde naso tang, 1 unicorn tang, 2 coral Catsharks, 2 Cali rays. This is where I'm having problems, with the tangs obviously. I tried to pick tangs that don't have similar body shapes aside from the naso and unicorn. Could someone tell me if my plans on adding them would work: first the 3 yellow tangs, then 3 blue tangs, then at the same time unicorn and naso tang. Then this leads me to my next question Do tangs pick on smaller fish? The wholesaler I'm getting the Catsharks from will be around 4"-9" and I'd like to add the Catsharks in after all the tangs are in. Tangs (that I've personally kept also) always seem peacefull with other exeption to other tangs. You'd think there be a problem? The rays would go in last maybe not even I'd just want them in there to help keep the sand clean. Thanks guys

Zshark
03/28/2012, 08:36 AM
Hmm i think I posted in the wrong section I don't have plans on a reef setup other then some Xenia And Kenya trees