PDA

View Full Version : Help with converting bowing tank into sump

finrod2
03/28/2012, 09:51 AM
I have a 120g 6' long acrylic tank that I'd like to convert into a sump. Problem is that the front and back of the tank bows out about 1/4" so a square baffle alone would not work.

If I had 1/2" acrylic strip made and bonded to both front and back panels at each baffle location work or would this stress the acrylic too much. I could then bond the baffles to these strips, the 1/2" material taking up the gap.

Thanks, Mike

Playa-1
03/28/2012, 02:39 PM
I would cut the baffles to fit and use acrylic cement to glue them into place. Use some clamps or something similar to keep pressure on the joints while the glue is drying. Once the baffles are in place they should support the tank and eliminate the bowing. The glue joints are very strong if done properly. So I guess what I'm saying is that I would not custom size the baffles to fit a bowing tank but I would use the baffles to straighten out the bowing so that the tank can take it's original shape.

finrod2
03/28/2012, 04:07 PM
Do you mean you would cut them straight or follow the curve of the tank? Matching the curve would be very difficult and putting enough pressure the remove the bow seems like would take quite a bit of pressure. Thanks for you help though.

Playa-1
03/28/2012, 04:43 PM
I would cut the baffles as if the tank were not bowing and use them to straighten the tank.

uncleof6
03/28/2012, 05:02 PM
I have a 120g 6' long acrylic tank that I'd like to convert into a sump. Problem is that the front and back of the tank bows out about 1/4" so a square baffle alone would not work.

If I had 1/2" acrylic strip made and bonded to both front and back panels at each baffle location work or would this stress the acrylic too much. I could then bond the baffles to these strips, the 1/2" material taking up the gap.

Thanks, Mike

I would post this up, in the acrylic fabrication thread and see if you can get Acrylics to come up and deal with this one. Myself, I would not mess with a bowed tank. Acrylic bows due to water absorption, and uneven expansion, trying to reverse this, could have some side affects.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1056956&highlight=acrylic+fabrication

finrod2
03/28/2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks, I've PM'ed him with the questions. I'm up for any help I can get. Thanks again.
Mike

mshaq
03/28/2012, 07:29 PM
I glued PVC angle to my sump and just slipped the baffle in between.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii20/marks2480/newsump_1.jpg

SeaBeast
03/28/2012, 08:40 PM
Would would have thunk acrylic would absorb water, and or bow!? :eek2:

finrod2
03/29/2012, 09:22 AM
Mshaq,
Very close to what I was thinking as well. Cant hurt to try this solution.Thanks

docstomper
03/29/2012, 09:49 AM
I would do what playa-1 says... 1/2" thick acrylic cut to size tank is supposed to be (not bowed) and weld-on 3 (this fuses the acrylic and actually "welds" the acrylic to itself). If done properly with a good flush bond using clamps, I think would be the new strongest part of the tank.

Playa-1
03/29/2012, 04:12 PM
My 55 gallon acrylic sump was bowing when I bought it off of craigslist. I fixed the way that I described and have never had an issue with it. Now that I think about it, I even cut the center brace out and the baffles that I cemented into place are supporting the tank now. It's not bowing anymore ;)

finrod2
03/29/2012, 05:13 PM
Playa 1,
Thanks, Looking at my sump I think using a clamp will work when bonding the baffle in. Thanks for the advice.
Mike

Playa-1
03/29/2012, 06:44 PM
You're welcome and good luck with the project. You might want to check out http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html for some valuable information about working with acrylic.