PDA

View Full Version : Starting cupramine

bdroddy
03/28/2012, 05:09 PM
I've been through the qt process and tank being fallow for 10 weeks. I actually went 11 weeks. All my fish are doing well for about 2 months now.

A week and a half ago, I bought a blue hippo tang from Hawaii and two green chromis to round out my collection, brought them home, and acclimated to the qt. The problem I'm having is the blue tang just ate for the first time today. He stays hidden and when food comes by the pipe he comes out and feeds, then back in. I've been putting nori on a clip for about a week every other day and it seems to be getting consumed.

I want to start ramping up the cupramine but I'm still nervous about the tang being a finnicky eater and hiding all the time. I proactively treat new fish with cupramine for 1 month and then prazi pro for 2 weeks. What do you think?

sandwi54
03/28/2012, 05:39 PM
I would wait for another few days to make sure it's eating consistently before starting cupramine.

I think you can start prazipro first though.

bdroddy
03/28/2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks, that thought crossed my mind. I'm with you on letting it go for a few more days. I'm in no hurry to get them to the dt.

geaux xman
03/28/2012, 05:48 PM
Usually blue hippos are very easy to feed fish. I'm surprise it took that long for it to eat. I think they have the tendency to be real shy in a new environment. Try some mysis or any type of frozen if you havent. When I had my hippo in QT, he did the same. Ate really quick and went back hiding under the rock.

I was primarily feeding my 4" hippo PE mysis and NLS pellets in QT. It went thru 4 weeks of .5ppm cupramine without issue.

I say give it another couple of days before you start the cupramine treatment if it just started eating today. Or you can do the 1st treatment of prazi right now for 4-5 days, then start the cupramine. If the fish isnt aggressively eating, I'd ramp up the cupramine over 4 days.

G'luck.