PDA

View Full Version : Green Birds Nest Growing Yet Others Bleaching

MHG
03/28/2012, 07:07 PM
So I have been strugling with adjusting my lights after some corals were looking a bit light. I turned them way down and gave it time. I even turned off 12 of my white LED's all together. My zoas are no longer growing but after inching up my birdsnest on the frag rack and turning up the lights 10% a week, by Green birdsnest is showing good signes of growth. It looks like my ORA Purple Stylo may also be growing. But one of my acros went from purple when I got it to pale blue and my purple monti cap looks way pale... Both are on the bottom.

I want to mount my birdsnest but should that typically be top mounted in the higher light? Shoule I put my monti in the shade?

MHG
03/29/2012, 01:23 PM
Afternoon Bumpski...

HurricaneSystem
03/30/2012, 05:31 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a similar situation. Newly purchased ultra bushy acro, purple with neon green polyps. Kessil A150 LED x 2 coral was about 8-10 inches from the surface and starting to bleach. I just dropped it to almost the bottom to see how it reacts. Anyone that says Kessil's aren't enough light.......yea they are.

MHG
04/20/2012, 07:02 PM
Well I finally got the PAR meter. I am about 350 at the birdsnest. 250 at the acro and 198 at the monticap and the frag rack. Thr birdnest is looking a bit lighter. Less green with the white lights on but white tips-a-growin everywhere. The pollips are very extended. The flesh still looks good and tan...

allsps40
04/21/2012, 08:02 AM
PAR numbers are fine. Try to feed more or add more fish.

MHG
05/11/2012, 11:36 AM
Update....Well the birdsnest is growing like a weed. But very white. Most of my others are now showing signes of growth. slow, but growth.. My purple monti and my birdsnest are the only two that are very white.... My big purple acro that bleached to a pale blue, is returning to purple very slowly... So I am hoping the birdsnest will do the same. I wonder how long that would take.

I have been feeding more but it is hard to keep the PO4 down with all this feeding.

Ira
05/11/2012, 10:20 PM
Mine is doing the same thing. Here is the thread about it, some good insight there. I have moved the birdsnest from right under my radieon to out on the edges where the PAR values are lower to see if this helps.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2162975

MHG
05/25/2012, 07:14 AM
Well a frag from it on the bottom of the dt is starting to recover in color... The main colony is getting bigger. An acro near by the main colony is starting to return to its original color so there is hope I won't need to move the colony...it took months for that acro to return...

MHG
04/14/2013, 07:26 AM
Just some follow up for anyone who stumbled on this. Bringing my nitrates up helped most of my sps... It takes about 7 months on average for them to color back up...