PDA

View Full Version : Using space in overflows?

Mr. Demeanor
03/28/2012, 09:14 PM
Does anyone use the space inside their in tank overflows. I am setting up a new 125L with dual overflows. I have a bunch of extra sand and liverock as well as a box of bioballs I am not using. I was thinking I could put the rock or bioballs in there. Might be good for copepods. I could even put a deep sandbed in them like mini refugiums.

captjab
03/28/2012, 09:19 PM
Not sure about the rock in the over flow, but bio balls are usually not recommended in reef tanks.

Bk2Reefin
03/28/2012, 09:23 PM
I think it would collect junk out of the tank and become a nitrate problem if not cleaned out, Does seem like a good ideal but the pods would have to travel along way to make it back into the DT.

but then again Im a newbie and could be wrong.

Bk2Reefin
03/28/2012, 09:28 PM
Not sure about the rock in the over flow, but bio balls are usually not recommended in reef tanks.

aint that due to not being if there not cleaned the become nitrate factories?

Wasn't the suggestion that if your gonna use them have it where you can take them out half at a time and clean them then the other half the next???

I have a big bag from my tank that I picked up used and will end up tossing them in the garbage.

Mr. Demeanor
03/28/2012, 10:42 PM
I think the issue with bio-balls is when they are used wet/dry. They way I would be using them would be wet and they would really just be a pod habitat.

I have sen some threads where those mesh shower scrubby things were used in a refugium as a pod habitat. A few of those in each overflow would work. Tie a few together for easy removal and shake the pods out into the main part of the tank.

I have two good sized clam shells in my tank glued so the clam is barley open. When I pick one up, the pods just pour out.