PDA

View Full Version : Glass or Acrylic?

Yariel0527
03/28/2012, 10:39 PM
I am in a process of build a new tank and I hasn't decide if I go with glass or acrylic what you guys recommend me? And why I should use it? Please explain me what you think of each other..
Thanks.

Jonnybucko
03/28/2012, 10:47 PM
Benefits to both. Acrylic - No seams and much less risk for leaks; has tendency to scratch easily.

Yariel0527
03/28/2012, 11:10 PM
What about clearness?

rpjaws74
03/28/2012, 11:29 PM
negatives about acrylic they have a tendency of getting a yellowish tint to it over the years if you use MH or strong lighting. Ive seen it first hand with my buddys tank and I agree they scratch very easily. Positives they are lighter and you can buff out the scratches. You can also modified them easier. But I personnaly like glass a lott better. They are a lott clearer than acrylic and dont scratch that easy. just my 2 cents

tkeracer619
03/28/2012, 11:35 PM
Glass. Don't mind scratches in the tank but HATE scratching the tank.

I have both but would go glass every time if it was an option.

SoLiD
03/28/2012, 11:51 PM
After having a large acrylic tank for a long while; I will rarely recommend them to anyone. How easy it was to scratch it drove me crazy. One plus is the clarity of acrylic is better than almost any type of glass, but acrylic can craze or yellow depending on the type of acrylic.

After my acrylic experience on that large tank, all of my future tanks will be made of Star Fire Glass.

Hal
03/28/2012, 11:58 PM
Starphire glass. All the clarity, none of the scratching.
Never had an acrylic tank because of my fear of scratches. I'd only consider one if the tank was so big that glass was too heavy/expensive. That's rarely the case though.

James77
03/29/2012, 12:12 AM
All of the benefits of acrylic are quickly outweighed by the huge con of scratchability.
Want clarity? Go starfire.

In all the years of keeping aquaria, I have yet to cause a scratch large enough to even bother me with glass. This is after careless scraping with metal blades and dredging my mag cleaner through aragonite sand. i have developed maybe half a dozen hairline scratches. No, i cannot buff them out. With acrylic, you can buff out scratches....good thing ;)

Yariel0527
03/29/2012, 06:38 PM
Glass. Don't mind scratches in the tank but HATE scratching the tank.

I have both but would go glass every time if it was an option.

Well here’s a good point I hate scratches that will be my main concern….

Yariel0527
03/29/2012, 06:43 PM
So glass is it (starfire for better clarity) but what about pricing (I don’t really mind pay a little extra for quality but how far are one to each other?

geaux xman
03/29/2012, 06:53 PM
What are the dimensions you want?

cloak
03/29/2012, 07:02 PM
Glass. This is only because I've had a couple 50 gallon freshwater tanks for almost 20 years on end without any problems. Acrylic can probably work too. JMO.

Playa-1
03/29/2012, 07:37 PM
Low Iron Glass because that's how I roll ;)

Reef Bass
03/29/2012, 07:37 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the ease of cleaning and algae removal between glass and plexi. With glass I can whip out a razor blade and easily remove all traces of algae from the glass. With plexi, lots and lots of gentle scrubbing with non scratch pads. Takes at least 3-4 times as long.

cloak
03/29/2012, 07:56 PM
Some of us might not grow algae... FWIW. ;)

reefnut2012
03/29/2012, 08:08 PM
Coraline algae. If you are not growing it there is problems in your reef and it is a huge problem cleaning it on acrylic as opposed to glass.

docstomper
03/29/2012, 09:59 PM
Glass wins for me.

Acrylic is great because you can buff out scratches... But once you tear it down and go to set it up and see the scratches and the effort you have to put in... You buy glass... Just my experiences.

tkeracer619
03/29/2012, 10:17 PM
My 360g acrylic was moved in by 2 people. My 360 glass was moved in with 8.

Yariel0527
03/29/2012, 11:45 PM
What are the dimensions you want?

150g (48"L 36"W 20"T) With center overflow for a nice four side view...

cdc84
03/30/2012, 12:31 AM
I had a 300g acrylic that thousands of tiny scratches, we moved that with 2 people. I just got a 180g glass and it took 4 people. I much prefer the look of glass tank, I know it takes more people to move them but once they are in position they are not usually moved again.

marty9876
03/30/2012, 07:47 AM
I've been debating this also for a 300-400 gallon setup. I really like the aspect of the lightness and ease of movement with acrylic but that's a silly justification. You only move the tank once to so speak.

Being so easy to scratch and dealing with algae I think glass really is the only way to go.

bongarone
03/30/2012, 09:30 AM
So glass is it (starfire for better clarity) but what about pricing (I don’t really mind pay a little extra for quality but how far are one to each other?

Drastic price differences depending on the options.

With a basic glass tank, black rim and glass bracing, you're looking at 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of an equivalent sized acrylic. This would be the price from a mass production outfit selling a common size.

Make it rimless with a starphire front, with or without euro bracing, and the price could be about the same as the acrylic, if not more.

drtechno
03/30/2012, 10:31 AM
What about failure risk ?? I'm kind of paranoid about that. From what I heard, glass stand top needs to be absolutely flat or else the tank will fail after time (and I am talking about minor imperfections here, not 1/2 inch variations)

mcrist
03/30/2012, 12:07 PM
An acrylic tank will not yellow unless you use something like Windex on it. I use Brillianize but there are other cleaners that will work.

mngo95132
03/30/2012, 04:59 PM
I've been debating this also for a 300-400 gallon setup. I really like the aspect of the lightness and ease of movement with acrylic but that's a silly justification. You only move the tank once to so speak.

Being so easy to scratch and dealing with algae I think glass really is the only way to go.

You forgot to mention the main concern of having a fish/reef tank is....water leaks, cracks, flooding your living room/house (which may cause termites)...ect from a glass tank. I really don't want to encounter with those horror stories which have happened to some of the members on these forums. Acrylic tanks always give me a peace of mind. I just don't want to endure such kind of mentality torture every night when I go to bed or every time when I go to work and worry about next morning "Will my living room become a swimming pool?".