PDA

View Full Version : Cycling... in circles?

Faithinc
03/29/2012, 01:18 PM
Another day, another cycling question:

The tank's been cycling for almost 2 weeks (13days) now with ghost feeding (every 2 days) and a piece of shrimp tied to a rock (since day 1):

My Ammonia is spiking, and my Nitrates are spiking, but my Nitrites are consistently at 0ppm.

System is a 55g, 20g sump, 55lbs premium cured fiji and Puukani LR with 55g argonite LS. Running the skimmer full time, sump has a 10lbs piece of LR in with a deep sand bed. The live rock is extremely porous and was covered in Coraline prior to it being put into the new tank.

Now I know the cycle should be Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate, right? Why would I be skipping a cycle step? thinking I maybe had a bunk kit, I bought another test kit to try... same results:

current cycle stats for today are:
Ph: 8.1
Dkph: 12-13
Ammonia: .50
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 2ppm
Sg: 1.026

Is it to early to even be looking at these results?

And as a follow up question: should I let the readings level out before doing my first water change?

jerseygurl
03/29/2012, 01:39 PM
I've had that happen, you're converting the ites over so quickly you don't get a reading.

You are going to get two schools of thought regarding water changes durring cycling. Some people don't let the Ammonia go over 1 ppm, to help save any life that may be in LR and LS. Others say it's a waste of time. We don't let it go over 1 ppm, but either way is probably fine.

Faithinc
03/29/2012, 02:01 PM
At this rate then... if I can get my 'ates below 0 and my ammonia down to below .25ppm, I should be ready to start adding the clean-up crew and maybe some Cheato' to my refugium, right?

forgot to add:, I''m at 0-trace phosphates.

jerseygurl
03/29/2012, 02:05 PM
I never cycle for less than a month. I'd pull the shrimp out and keep ghost feeding. You can't add anything until your ammonia is 0. Then do water changes until you get your ates to 0, then you're ready to go.

Go slow it's worth it.

rgauvin
03/29/2012, 02:06 PM
I don't believe it is going in circles, I too believe the nitrites are just getting converted to nitrates quickly (as jerseygurl indicated)... Wait it out, you have .50 PPM of ammonia, you cannot rush the cycle (well not if you want the first residents to live happy lives).

dzfish17
03/29/2012, 02:30 PM
I agree with the others... be patient and wait until 0 on ammonia and nitrite.

Faithinc
03/29/2012, 02:51 PM
waiting it is 0ppm here I come :)

thanks for the info everyone

philosophile
03/29/2012, 03:16 PM
I might cut down on ghost feeding though... You've got the ammonia clearly.... so you just need to wait for the bacteria to colonize and consume it. Feed once a week, if at all.

dzfish17
03/29/2012, 05:15 PM
I might cut down on ghost feeding though... You've got the ammonia clearly.... so you just need to wait for the bacteria to colonize and consume it. Feed once a week, if at all.

There is no need to stop... the bacteria will continue to break down the food. A small pinch every other day is perfect. If you stop feeding, the bacteria numbers will go back down as there will be no more ammonia to convert.