PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Chemicals against all worms etc.

sven.fischer.de
03/29/2012, 02:07 PM
Hi,

Usually I do every week one 15 minute iodine dip do kill pest and continue for 3 weeks.

Strange, but a lot of animals survive like bristle worms for example.
-> How to kill them all?

Thanks,

Sven

BayouCorals
04/13/2012, 09:11 PM
Some wrasse will eat worms. I have kept six line wrasse in prop systems for that reason. It's not a 100% solution, but it definely reduced the worms in my tank.

sven.fischer.de
04/15/2012, 02:37 PM
Cherrycorals uses (see homepage acropora):

All of our Acropora are quarantined for a minimum of 2 weeks before sale. We cut off any rock or dead coral skeleton and dip multiple times in a powerful cocktail of Levamisole, Interceptor, and FM Ultra Pest Control.

dahenley
04/15/2012, 04:40 PM
depends on the pests.....

no dip that i know of will kill "eggs"
so even if you dip or kill stuff, the eggs will be there till they hatch. (which is what usually causes all the problems anyways...)

i see no reason to worry about bristle worms.... they eat detritus and airiate the sand bed. the only ones you have to worry about are "fire worms" which will eat your clean up crew.

more info on what you are trying to achieve would be more helpful in saying what dip to you and how often and for how long ot QT things.

jeff@zina.com
04/16/2012, 06:06 AM
Bristle worms survive everything but my six-line wrasse. :)

Seriously though, treat for what you specifically find. Iodine is not an all-purpose dip (nothing really is) but it's also pretty safe. Other than a single dip before putting them in quarantine, usually with Revive or the like, I don't treat corals unless there's an issue.

Jeff