PDA

View Full Version : Philippine direct availability?

WDLV
03/30/2012, 07:00 AM
I've been mulling over what my next reef project is going to be like for several months. I have known that it would be a Philippine reef tank from the beginning. Now that I've decided on the location and approximate size (180-300 gallons) I have come to a new question. How true can I make it? By "true" I'm thinking that I want to start with baserock as 2/3 of my overall structure. The other third will be fresh reef rock.... but I want it to be straight out of the Philippines. Not possibly mixed with Indonesian, Solomon or any other regional rock. This way, If a coral or crab or worm etc. shows up in my system, I know it came from PI. I want fish and inverts that were collected in PI and (here's the hard part) corals that were sustainably propagated in PI.

There will be a point to this whole project that goes beyond my A. thiellei centerpiece but that is a topic for when the project is actually underway.

The question is: Is this a pipe dream or can this be done with relatively few snags? I have been told PI is the biggest single exporter of Pacific ornamentals. So, theoretically I should only need to find a retailer who gets direct shipments.

WDLV
03/30/2012, 10:16 AM
Poop.

I was not aware that nothing with a calcium carbonate base is permitted to be collected out of PI. Not even aquacultured LR, corals, clams, etc.... but they can use all the cyanide they want. Depressing. It doesn't change my project that much though. I'll just have to find a collection point that may get coral plankton from there. It looks like Taiwan gets PI currents but I don't know if they ship.